How to qualify for state?

So I’ve competed in teams in the past and our coach handled everything, but because of Covid I created a team with my brother. We wanted to know how to qualify for state, because we thought that just getting certain awards in tournaments would allow us to qualify but when we went to register and the awards section, every event that we looked like says that all of the awards do not qualify for any events. Can somebody please tell me how we can qualify for state? Also, how would we register for state?

If you qualify for state you can register for state. At a competition on Robotevents if you go into the “Awards” tab if it says “qualifies for State” or something of the sort, the system will allow you to register for states 1-2 days after you receive the state-qualifying award.

If you are struggling to qualify for states, you can qualify for worlds through winning online challenges, which the system will allow the team number that you have used to compete in an online challenge the ability to register for the Worlds event.

5 Likes

For the Rise Above season specifically, because of virtual events, you can compete in out of state events (you could before, but now it is easier, and sometimes necessary as there may not be events in your state). To qualify for state, you must qualify at an event that qualifies for your state’s championship.

At this time, many states have not even set up a state tournament, and so you can’t qualify for it. As the season progresses, things will become clearer, and as more state championships are set up, it will be possible to qualify for them.

5 Likes

Ok, so if I compete in tournaments now even though they say that they don’t qualify for state, later in the season they most likely will and I will be able to go to state because of these tournaments? I also checked the events that qualify for nationals and only Wisconsin’s state tournament seems to be the only one set up.

2 Likes

Also, most of the remote events only offer skills matches. Would these still qualify for state? Thanks for the help I don’t know much about managing a vex iq team.

2 Likes

I think that there are a couple more states, but not that many.

I don’t know how that works, but I don’t think that you would be qualified if you “qualified” at an event that didn’t actually qualify you. My understanding is that to qualify for states, you must:

1. Win a qualifying award at a qualifying event.
  2. Have that event be in your state.
  3. Have your state championship set up and accepting teams

Some events aren’t qualifying, so I don’t think they’d qualify you.

If it is a qualifying event (it varies from event to event), winning a qualifying award at a skills-only (remote or non-remote) competition would qualify you. Some examples of qualifying awards can include, but are not limited to: Teamwork Champion, Design Award, Robot Skills Champion, and Excellence Awards.

4 Likes

Ok. The only problem is that out of all of the events in Indiana (where I am), none of them have awards that qualify for state. As you said, this may change. Thank you for the help.

2 Likes

In that case, I would suggest going to events (if you have the funds) not to qualify for states, but to get your world skills standing up. Also, going to events helps you get a feel for virtual events, and could ultimately improve your score due to experience with virtual events.

2 Likes

Yes, that is what I’m doing

1 Like

In Florida specifically what awards constitute spots for the state championship are to be determined in January. I think that is because states may end up being smaller or who knows what else. This could be the same in other states but I’m not sure.

2 Likes

With so much unknown at this time because of Covid, the best shot of qualifying for states is doing well in Skills. There will likely not be as many events this year because of Covid, so less chances of qualifying by winning something at those. In previous years, any spots left open for States where given to those at the top of the Skills ranking. I do think state tournaments will be slimmed down a little this year, but there will still be a lot of picking off the Skills ranking list still I bet. I would also assume it doesn’t matter where the virtual tournament is located, that the skills score from that event is a global score, thus is good for your skills ranking in the state.

4 Likes

From my experience, The Excellence award, Design Award, Skills Award, STEM (If they are still doing Stem, they were when I did IQ in Ringmaster and Next Level), and both winners of the finals matches will qualify for states. Did I miss any?

It varies between events for some awards, but I’m pretty sure that the Teamwork Champion also qualifies for state.

This thread might help

1 Like

Thanks for the link-bump.
When I asked the question, I was hoping there might be a discussion of FRC-like wild card spots, and implementing that into VIQC, but that discussion never materialized :upside_down_face:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.