How you deal with the old devices?

I am Chinese high school student and used to play VEX. And I realize a question resently. That question is that how we deal with the old marterials. I don’t know how Americans do, I only can talk about the situation in China. In resent years, vex provides new products like new microcontroller and joystick. So most of us use them instead of the old one. As a result, the old ones stay in the box and just like rubbish. However, although they are out of date, they are still useful and valuable for someone who interested in robot but doesn’t have enough money to offer it.
So, is it a good idea to collect them all and send them to the students who need them?

We have a big box of them as well, we have used a couple of the old micro- controllers to make Test PICs. This allows us to test motors and lifts without actually having make a program and run them with a Cortex. You just plug buttons and motors in, and they work.

Sometimes they come in handy for smaller projects, if something isn’t for competition, we might use them to mess around.

Fact is, VEX is done with them, they have discontinued some Crystal sensors. If you know people who can’t afford VEX parts, it would be a great idea to give some to them. They are still very usable, some competitions even allow them.

I have 5 clawbot kits that use the PIC controller and 10 of the old transmitters. They are great to use to do demo’s / fun build days. I have an old version of RobotC that still works with these devices.

I can do either crystals, I have some of the VEXNet backpacks that I can also use (a, those were the days!)

In your case you could give them to beginning teams to start them using VEX. The mechanicals are still the same and the PIC was/is fine for about 90% of what teams do today.

I want find a way to buy some old(second-hand) devices in a low price.
Take my high school as an example. The students in robot team play FLL. In fact, they have the ability and interest to play a harder and more exciting one, like vex. However, the head master don’t want to pay such a large amount money on it. That amount of money can buy lots of Lego. But if we can buy they in a similar price, I think he will think about it.

Just wanted to chime in with a video that recently popped up on my Facebook feed (link below): for NASA’s Student Rocket Fair, one of the teams used a PIC-driven robotic arm to pick up and load a payload into their rocket with pretty good accuracy.

Even if you don’t want to actually launch a rocket, you can always design a challenge for your students/teams (if you can tie it to a real-world problem, all the better) to design a solution for. It keeps things relevant and challenging, and is a great use for older hardware as you typically won’t need to break the finished product down once you are done (as the older hardware won’t be in as high of demand for your competition teams).

NASA Student Rocket Fair (VEX Robot comes in at 2:02): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoEcLekZ-fw&feature=youtu.be&t=2m2s