I was wondering....

Does anyone have any instructions on how to build a robotic arm that can go up and down and has a gripper on it that opens and closes. also it needs to be able to extend.
any ideas

there are many designs for robotic arms but i think part of the FIRST Tech Challenge is that you design your own creative one.

Take a look through all (or at least a lot of) the robot pictures available on this forum. Even though the past two years of competition were obviously different, there are still many design aspects in common, or at least a source of inspiration.

Go ahead and think through how an arm would work; build it. So long as you don’t cut any metal, you can keep trying and improving. It’s a very enjoyable experience and you’ll learn a lot doing it.

A few design hints/suggestions:
[LIST]
*]Vex motors work rotationally, designs that use rotational motion are the simplest to build. So instead of making it go up and down it would be simpler to have it rotate up or rotate down.
[/LIST]
[LIST]
*]Two gears next to each other rotate in opposite directions. If you use the 60-tooth (or 84) tooth gears they have screw mounting holes - this should get you started on building a gripper.
[/LIST]
[LIST]
*]For extension, remember that instead of linear extension you could use rotation, an arm on an arm in essence. This has the benefit of a greater range of motion.
[/LIST]

can u help with a design causer this is my first year