IDE for the Vex IQ

So, for the past week, i’ve been exploring options for IDEs to use with the vex IQ.
I’m quite proficient in C, so I want to do something natural language based, and preferably want something that is free (something like PROS). I couldn’t find much IDEs that are for the vex IQ.

I’m relatively new to all this, and was wondering if there was an alternative to robotC or easyC for the vex iq that uses the C language.

Thanks.

I would just suggest using ROBOTC. I don’t believe there are any alternatives to easyC and ROBOTC for vex iq. This is a platfrom designed for middle school students so hacked together alternatives don’t make as much sense as fully supported software.

You should probably ask on the vexiqforum though.

There’s modkit, but that’s drag ‘n’ drop.
From a less biased perspective, I agree with tabor. RobotC is indeed the way to go!

Man I’ve been to so many tournaments where most of the teams don’t even bother programming their robot. They just use the on board Driver Control program. By doing this they are bypassing one of the major things you’re supposed to learn from robotics: programming. I understand that Vex includes this so that the robot can work pretty much out of the box, but I think they should put more limitations on it, like only being able to control two motors. This would force many of the teams to resort to creating their own programs.

In all honesty the control built in is pretty limited already. I couldn’t image running a competition robot with it.

@tabor473 You’d be surprised. So many kids just don’t bother putting in the effort because to them programming seems really hard, and why put in the effort if you’ve already got a solution that works.

I was wondering if you could somehow buy a more reduced number of seats for robotC.
I see 1, 6 and 30
but I only need 12. Is there a way I can get this at a lower price?

You should contact Robomatter sales. They are usually pretty good at working with people.

https://robomatter.com/about/

You can program in both Blockly (https://developers.google.com/blockly/) and Python on Robot Mesh. Developing projects online is free, and there is a purchasable off-line license available, too. One cool feature is that, the Blockly interface generates Python code which you can then copy-and-paste into a native Python project and continue to modify. I can see using Blockly to quickly build a framework before moving the project to Python for final development. Blockly and Python are available for both VEX IQ and VEX EDR robots.

Later this summer, Robot Mesh is releasing Robot Mesh Studio, which will include a simple CAD application permitting you to build VEX IQ robots online, which you can then program using Robot Mesh’s Blockly and/or Python. These “Mimics” have a physics engine and will simulate real-world behavior of the robots you design and program. We are planning a lot more features around the Mimics feature, so stay tuned.