If statement problem

Hi, so I was wondering how and or if you can run different motors on two or more different if statements. What I am looking to achieve is have two buttons on the same if statement that runs the intakes and indexer motors intaking and then the other button out-taking. And then I want a third button that will have it so the intakes pick up the balls and the indexer motor in opposite directions. But when I do this the 3rd button doesn’t work only the 2 buttons that have all the motors intake and out-take. Here is my code so you can see what I have done. And by the I am not stupid I renamed it at the right place at the bottom of the code.
If you want me to post my whole code I can also do that as well.

#include "vex.h"
vex::competition    Competition;

vex::motor LeftMotor = vex::motor( vex::PORT11,true );
  vex::motor BackLeftMotor = vex::motor( vex::PORT12,true );
//vex::motor_group LDrive = vex::motor_group(LeftMotor,BackLeftMotor);
  vex::motor RightMotor = vex::motor( vex::PORT20,false );
  vex::motor BackRightMotor = vex::motor( vex::PORT19,false );
//vex::motor_group RDrive = vex::motor_group(RightMotor,BackRightMotor);
//vex::motor_group Drive = vex::motor_group(LeftMotor,BackLeftMotor,RightMotor,BackRightMotor);
  vex::motor Intake = vex::motor(vex::PORT17,true );
  vex::motor Intake2 = vex::motor(vex::PORT14,false);
vex::motor_group Intakes = vex::motor_group(Intake,Intake2);
  vex::motor Index = vex::motor(vex::PORT18,false );
  vex::motor Index2 = vex::motor(vex::PORT13,false);  
vex::motor_group Indexer = vex::motor_group(Index,Index2);
    vex::controller Controller1 = vex::controller(vex::controllerType::primary);
    vex::controller Controller2 = vex::controller(vex::controllerType::partner);
  triport ThreeWirePort = vex::triport( vex::PORT22 );
vex::limit LimitSwitchA = vex::limit(ThreeWirePort.A);
vex::limit LimitSwitchB = vex::limit(ThreeWirePort.B);

void wait(float mSec){
vex::task::sleep(mSec);
}

int driveControlTask(){
  while (Competition.isAutonomous()!=1){
LeftMotor.spin(vex::directionType::fwd, Controller1.Axis3.value() + Controller1.Axis1.value(),  vex::velocityUnits::pct);
RightMotor.spin(vex::directionType::fwd, Controller1.Axis3.value() - Controller1.Axis1.value(), vex::velocityUnits::pct);
BackLeftMotor.spin(vex::directionType::fwd, Controller1.Axis3.value() + Controller1.Axis1.value(), vex::velocityUnits::pct);
BackRightMotor.spin(vex::directionType::fwd, Controller1.Axis3.value() - Controller1.Axis1.value(), vex::velocityUnits::pct);
wait(10);

} return(0);
}

void Indexcontroll()
{
   if(Controller1.ButtonL2.pressing() == true)
{
Indexer.spin(vex::directionType::fwd,-100,vex::velocityUnits::pct);
Intakes.spin(vex::directionType::fwd,100,vex::velocityUnits::pct);
}

else if(Controller1.ButtonR2.pressing() == true)
{
Indexer.spin(vex::directionType::fwd,100,vex::velocityUnits::pct);
Intakes.spin(vex::directionType::fwd,-100,vex::velocityUnits::pct);
}

else  
{
Indexer.stop(vex::brakeType::brake);
Intakes.stop(vex::brakeType::brake);
}

vex::task::sleep(15);
}

void AutoIndex()
{
   if(Controller1.ButtonR1.pressing() == true)
{
Index.spin(vex::directionType::fwd,-100,vex::velocityUnits::pct);
Index2.spin(vex::directionType::fwd,100,vex::velocityUnits::pct);
}

else  
{
Index.stop(vex::brakeType::brake);
Index2.stop(vex::brakeType::brake);
}

}

First of all I’d highly recommend putting a
using namespace vex;
at the beginning of your code so you don’t have to write out things like “vex::motor” every time.

Second of all, it looks like you’ve put your if statements in the definition of two separate functions. There are a few problems with this. Firstly, from what I can see you’ve never actually called these functions in your usercontrol code, meaning they’ll never run. Second of all, the functions can’t really run simultaneously without being run as background tasks, but that’s a whole other can of worms. Third, the functions have no while loops meaning that they will execute once and not repeat through again.

I would strongly recommend looking at VexCode example projects and VexCode tutorials for help, they should be good resources. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree with all that Josh said. I would like to answer your question in more detail. With your current code button, R1 will not do anything because the else statement in index control is stopping them. What you will want to do is have it all in the same if/else statement. For example:

If (L2)
      //do what you want it to do
else if (R2)
      //run the desired code
else if (R1)
      //run the third case
else
      //no buttons selected, so stop

P.S. How do you format it to look like code? (I am on a phone, so my options are limited)

3 Likes

Yeah, what Ryan said looks like it’ll work great.

For code format use ``` before and after the code you want to format.

2 Likes

Oh, well I didn’t know you could do that. Thanks for that.

Josh, thanks for the tips but I do have a couple questions.

1. What how does namespace vex; make it so you don’t have to write vex::motor every time.
  2. Why do you have to put the functions in user control? I have done fine without it and am just wondering what the point of it is.
    And on the side note this is not a question but I do have a while loop at the bottom of the code where the statements are recalled.

Basically the namespace tells the rest of your code what class (scope? I’m not sure, someone who knows more C++ lingo could help here) to operate under. It means that instead of vex::motor you can just write motor. (Not a huge deal, it’s just easier to code and means you don’t have to read the word “vex” like 500 times.

The functions don’t have to be defined in user control, just called, otherwise they never run. Again, I’d recommend looking at a VexCode or just a basic C++ tutorial for help with this.

If my above posts don’t help, you should definitely post your full code.

3 Likes

Well I think technically Ryan solved my problem but if you want to take a look at my code you can. Let me just post it real quick.

I’ll clarify that C++ lingo.

https://www.learncpp.com/cpp-tutorial/user-defined-namespaces/

Vex uses a namespace (fittingly titled “vex”). A namespace, as you can read in the above link, provides extra classification for a function or command. It essentially provides a group that the function/class/enum is stored in. The vex namespace has many enums, classes, and functions stored under it. An example of another namespace would be the std namespace, which is very common in C++ programs. Simply put, a namespace organizes all the clutter in a program.

using namespace vex;

This command says that quite literally, you are using the namespace vex. Hence, whenever something like a class or function is used, the compiler automatically looks in the vex namespace for it. Otherwise, it wouldn’t look in the vex namespace for the class/enum/function and it would give an error.

4 Likes
#include "vex.h"
vex::competition    Competition;

vex::motor LeftMotor = vex::motor( vex::PORT11,true );
  vex::motor BackLeftMotor = vex::motor( vex::PORT12,true );
//vex::motor_group LDrive = vex::motor_group(LeftMotor,BackLeftMotor);
  vex::motor RightMotor = vex::motor( vex::PORT20,false );
  vex::motor BackRightMotor = vex::motor( vex::PORT19,false );
//vex::motor_group RDrive = vex::motor_group(RightMotor,BackRightMotor);
//vex::motor_group Drive = vex::motor_group(LeftMotor,BackLeftMotor,RightMotor,BackRightMotor);
  vex::motor Intake = vex::motor(vex::PORT17,true );
  vex::motor Intake2 = vex::motor(vex::PORT14,false);
vex::motor_group Intakes = vex::motor_group(Intake,Intake2);
  vex::motor Index = vex::motor(vex::PORT18,false );
  vex::motor Index2 = vex::motor(vex::PORT13,false);  
vex::motor_group Indexer = vex::motor_group(Index,Index2);
    vex::controller Controller1 = vex::controller(vex::controllerType::primary);
    vex::controller Controller2 = vex::controller(vex::controllerType::partner);
  triport ThreeWirePort = vex::triport( vex::PORT22 );
vex::limit LimitSwitchA = vex::limit(ThreeWirePort.A);
vex::limit LimitSwitchB = vex::limit(ThreeWirePort.B);

void wait(float mSec){
vex::task::sleep(mSec);
}

int driveControlTask(){
  while (Competition.isAutonomous()!=1){
LeftMotor.spin(vex::directionType::fwd, Controller1.Axis3.value() + Controller1.Axis1.value(),  vex::velocityUnits::pct);
RightMotor.spin(vex::directionType::fwd, Controller1.Axis3.value() - Controller1.Axis1.value(), vex::velocityUnits::pct);
BackLeftMotor.spin(vex::directionType::fwd, Controller1.Axis3.value() + Controller1.Axis1.value(), vex::velocityUnits::pct);
BackRightMotor.spin(vex::directionType::fwd, Controller1.Axis3.value() - Controller1.Axis1.value(), vex::velocityUnits::pct);
wait(10);

} return(0);
}

void Indexcontroll()
{
   if(Controller1.ButtonL2.pressing() == true)
{
Indexer.spin(vex::directionType::fwd,-100,vex::velocityUnits::pct);
Intakes.spin(vex::directionType::fwd,100,vex::velocityUnits::pct);
}

else if(Controller1.ButtonR2.pressing() == true)
{
Indexer.spin(vex::directionType::fwd,100,vex::velocityUnits::pct);
Intakes.spin(vex::directionType::fwd,-100,vex::velocityUnits::pct);
}

else  
{
Indexer.stop(vex::brakeType::brake);
Intakes.stop(vex::brakeType::brake);
}

}

void AutoIndex()
{
   if(Controller1.ButtonR1.pressing() == true)
{
Index.spin(vex::directionType::fwd,-100,vex::velocityUnits::pct);
Index2.spin(vex::directionType::fwd,100,vex::velocityUnits::pct);
}

else  
{
Index.stop(vex::brakeType::brake);
Index2.stop(vex::brakeType::brake);
}

}
//////////////////
// LCD Commands //
//////////////////
int sq1StartX = 0;
int sq1SizeX = 80;
int sq1EndX = sq1StartX + sq1SizeX;
int sq1StartY = 10;
int sq1SizeY = 80;
int sq1EndY = sq1StartY + sq1SizeY;

int sq2StartX = 100;
int sq2SizeX = 80;
int sq2EndX = sq2StartX + sq2SizeX;
int sq2StartY = 10;
int sq2SizeY = 80;
int sq2EndY = sq2StartY + sq2SizeY;

int sq3StartX = 200;
int sq3SizeX = 80;
int sq3EndX = sq3StartX + sq3SizeX;
int sq3StartY = 10;
int sq3SizeY = 80;
int sq3EndY = sq3StartY + sq3SizeY;

int sq4StartX = 300;
int sq4SizeX = 80;
int sq4EndX = sq4StartX + sq4SizeX;
int sq4StartY = 10;
int sq4SizeY = 80;
int sq4EndY = sq4StartY + sq4SizeY;

int sq5StartX = 0;
int sq5SizeX = 80;
int sq5EndX = sq5StartX + sq5SizeX;
int sq5StartY = 100;
int sq5SizeY = 80;
int sq5EndY = sq5StartY + sq5SizeY;

int sq6StartX = 100;
int sq6SizeX = 80;
int sq6EndX = sq6StartX + sq6SizeX;
int sq6StartY = 100;
int sq6SizeY = 80;
int sq6EndY = sq6StartY + sq6SizeY;

int sq7StartX = 200;
int sq7SizeX = 80;
int sq7EndX = sq7StartX + sq7SizeX;
int sq7StartY = 100;
int sq7SizeY = 80;
int sq7EndY = sq7StartY + sq7SizeY;

int sq8StartX = 300;
int sq8SizeX = 80;
int sq8EndX = sq8StartX + sq8SizeX;
int sq8StartY = 100;
int sq8SizeY = 80;
int sq8EndY = sq8StartY + sq8SizeY;

int selected = 0;

void colorChanger(bool selection){
  if (selection == true){Brain.Screen.setFillColor(vex::color::green);}
  else {Brain.Screen.setFillColor(vex::color::purple);}
}
//Make sure lettering is to the correct square
//Make all autonomouses into voids and put them into the autonomos task
//

int LCD(){
  Brain.Screen.setPenColor(vex::color::white);
  Brain.Screen.setFillColor(vex::color::purple);
      while (true){
    if (selected == 1){colorChanger(true);} else {colorChanger(false);}
      Brain.Screen.drawRectangle(sq1StartX, sq1StartY, sq1SizeX, sq1SizeY);
    if (selected == 2){colorChanger(true);} else {colorChanger(false);}
      Brain.Screen.drawRectangle(sq2StartX, sq2StartY, sq2SizeX, sq2SizeY);
    if (selected == 3){colorChanger(true);} else {colorChanger(false);}
      Brain.Screen.drawRectangle(sq3StartX, sq3StartY, sq3SizeX, sq3SizeY);
    if (selected == 4){colorChanger(true);} else {colorChanger(false);}
      Brain.Screen.drawRectangle(sq4StartX, sq4StartY, sq4SizeX, sq4SizeY);
    if (selected == 5){colorChanger(true);} else {colorChanger(false);}
      Brain.Screen.drawRectangle(sq5StartX, sq5StartY, sq5SizeX, sq5SizeY);
    if (selected == 6){colorChanger(true);} else {colorChanger(false);}
      Brain.Screen.drawRectangle(sq6StartX, sq6StartY, sq6SizeX, sq6SizeY);
    if (selected == 7){colorChanger(true);} else {colorChanger(false);}
      Brain.Screen.drawRectangle(sq7StartX, sq7StartY, sq7SizeX, sq7SizeY);
    if (selected == 8){colorChanger(true);} else {colorChanger(false);}
      Brain.Screen.drawRectangle(sq8StartX, sq8StartY, sq8SizeX, sq8SizeY);

int xPressed = Brain.Screen.xPosition();
        int yPressed = Brain.Screen.yPosition();

if (Brain.Screen.pressing()){
    if (xPressed > sq1StartX && xPressed < sq1EndX && yPressed > sq1StartY && yPressed < sq1EndY){selected = 1;}
    if (xPressed > sq2StartX && xPressed < sq2EndX && yPressed > sq2StartY && yPressed < sq2EndY){selected = 2;}
    if (xPressed > sq3StartX && xPressed < sq3EndX && yPressed > sq3StartY && yPressed < sq3EndY){selected = 3;}
    if (xPressed > sq4StartX && xPressed < sq4EndX && yPressed > sq4StartY && yPressed < sq4EndY){selected = 4;}
    if (xPressed > sq5StartX && xPressed < sq5EndX && yPressed > sq5StartY && yPressed < sq5EndY){selected = 5;}
    if (xPressed > sq6StartX && xPressed < sq6EndX && yPressed > sq6StartY && yPressed < sq6EndY){selected = 6;}
    if (xPressed > sq7StartX && xPressed < sq7EndX && yPressed > sq7StartY && yPressed < sq7EndY){selected = 7;}
    if (xPressed > sq8StartX && xPressed < sq8EndX && yPressed > sq8StartY && yPressed < sq8EndY){selected = 8;}

Brain.Screen.setFillColor(vex::color::transparent);

Brain.Screen.printAt(sq1StartX,sq1StartY+20,true,"BL/RR");
      Brain.Screen.printAt(sq1StartX,sq1StartY+40,true,"Sort");

Brain.Screen.printAt(sq2StartX,sq2StartY+20,true,"BR/RL");
      Brain.Screen.printAt(sq2StartX,sq2StartY+40,true,"Sort");

Brain.Screen.printAt(sq3StartX,sq3StartY+20,true,"BL/RR");
      Brain.Screen.printAt(sq3StartX,sq3StartY+40,true,"2Goal");

Brain.Screen.printAt(sq4StartX,sq4StartY+20,true,"BR/RL");
      Brain.Screen.printAt(sq4StartX,sq4StartY+40,true,"2Goal");

Brain.Screen.printAt(sq5StartX,sq5StartY+20,true,"One");
      Brain.Screen.printAt(sq5StartX,sq5StartY+40,true,"Ball");

Brain.Screen.printAt(sq6StartX,sq6StartY+20,true,"Skills");
      Brain.Screen.printAt(sq6StartX,sq6StartY+40,true,"");

Brain.Screen.printAt(sq7StartX,sq7StartY+20,true,"BL/RR");
      Brain.Screen.printAt(sq7StartX,sq7StartY+40,true,"Center");     

Brain.Screen.printAt(sq8StartX,sq8StartY+20,true,"BR/RL");
      Brain.Screen.printAt(sq8StartX,sq8StartY+40,true,"Center");

Brain.Screen.render();
}
wait(10);
} return(0);
}

void pre_auton( void ) {
  vexcodeInit();
// All activities that occur before the competition starts
// Example: clearing encoders, setting servo positions, ...
  vex::task LCDL(LCD);
}   
  void BL_RR_Sort(){//Blue Left, Red Right, Sorts corner goal

//Drive.rotateFor(900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 50, vex::velocityUnits::pct,false);//Drives forward and picks up ball
Intakes.rotateFor(4000, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 100, vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);

//LDrive.rotateFor(-900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 70, vex::velocityUnits::pct,false);//Angles towards goal
//RDrive.rotateFor(900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 70, vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);

//Drive.rotateFor(900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 50, vex::velocityUnits::pct,false);//Drives into goal to score/descore
Intakes.rotateFor(4000, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 100, vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);

Intakes.rotateFor(4000, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 100, vex::velocityUnits::pct,false);//score/descores
Indexer.rotateFor(1800, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 100 , vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);

//Drive.rotateFor(-900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 50, vex::velocityUnits::pct,false);//Backs away from goal
Intakes.rotateFor(-4000, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 100, vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);

}

void BR_RL_Sort(){//Blue Right, Red Left, sort corner goal

//Drive.rotateFor(900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 50, vex::velocityUnits::pct,false);//Drives forward and picks up ball

//LDrive.rotateFor(900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 70, vex::velocityUnits::pct,false);//Angles towards goal
//RDrive.rotateFor(-900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 70, vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);

//Drive.rotateFor(900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 50, vex::velocityUnits::pct,false);//Drives into goal to score/descore

Intakes.rotateFor(4000, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 100, vex::velocityUnits::pct,false);//score/descores
Indexer.rotateFor(1800, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 100 , vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);

//Drive.rotateFor(-900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 50, vex::velocityUnits::pct,false);//Backs away from goal
Intakes.rotateFor(-4000, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 100, vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);

}

void BL_RR_2G(){//Blue Left, Red Right, scores in corner and center goal

//Drive.rotateFor(900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 50, vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);//Drives forward into goal

Index.rotateFor(1800, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 100 , vex::velocityUnits::pct,false);//scores
Index2.rotateFor(1800, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 100 , vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);

//LDrive.rotateFor(900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 70, vex::velocityUnits::pct,false);//Angles back towards wall
//RDrive.rotateFor(-900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 70, vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);

//Drive.rotateFor(-900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 50, vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);//Backs into wall

//Drive.rotateFor(900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 50, vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);//Drives forward from wall

//LDrive.rotateFor(900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 70, vex::velocityUnits::pct,false);//Angles toward ball

//Drive.rotateFor(900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 50, vex::velocityUnits::pct,false);//Drives forward to ball and intakes

//LDrive.rotateFor(900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 70, vex::velocityUnits::pct,false);//Angles toward goal and sets ball.
//RDrive.rotateFor(-900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 100 , vex::velocityUnits::pct,false);

Indexer.rotateFor(1800, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 100 , vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);//scores

//Drive.rotateFor(-900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 100, vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);//Backs away from goal.

}

void BR_RL_2G(){//Blue Right, Red Left, scores corner and center goal

//Drive.rotateFor(900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 50, vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);//Drives forward into goal

Index.rotateFor(1800, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 100 , vex::velocityUnits::pct,false);//scores
Index2.rotateFor(1800, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 100 , vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);

//LDrive.rotateFor(-900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 70, vex::velocityUnits::pct,false);//Angles back towards wall
//RDrive.rotateFor(900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 70, vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);

//Drive.rotateFor(-900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 50, vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);//Backs into wall

//Drive.rotateFor(900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 50, vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);//Drives forward from wall

//LDrive.rotateFor(-900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 70, vex::velocityUnits::pct,false);//Angles toward ball

//Drive.rotateFor(900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 50, vex::velocityUnits::pct,false);//Drives forward to ball and intakes

//LDrive.rotateFor(-900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 70, vex::velocityUnits::pct,false);//Angles toward goal and sets ball.
//RDrive.rotateFor(900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 100 , vex::velocityUnits::pct,false);

Indexer.rotateFor(1800, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 100 , vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);//scores

//Drive.rotateFor(-900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 100, vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);//Backs away from goal.

}

void Skills(){

}

void OneBall(){

}

void BL_RR_CG(){//Blue Left, Red Right, scores in corner and back center goal

//LDrive.rotateFor(-900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 70, vex::velocityUnits::pct,false);//Angles towards goal

Indexer.rotateFor(1800, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 100 , vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);//Scores

//Drive.rotateFor(-900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 50, vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);//Back out of goal

//LDrive.rotateFor(900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 50, vex::velocityUnits::pct,false);//Turns back side towards wall
//RDrive.rotateFor(-900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 50, vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);

//Drive.rotateFor(900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 50, vex::velocityUnits::pct,false);//Drive forward to pick up ball on 
Intakes.rotateFor(4000, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 100, vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);//line and intakes it

}

void BR_RL_CG(){//Blue Right, Red Left, scores in corner and back center goal.

//LDrive.rotateFor(900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 70, vex::velocityUnits::pct,false);//Angles towards goal

Indexer.rotateFor(1800, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 100 , vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);//Scores

//Drive.rotateFor(-900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 50, vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);//Back out of goal

//LDrive.rotateFor(-900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 50, vex::velocityUnits::pct,false);//Turns back side towards wall
//RDrive.rotateFor(900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 50, vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);

//Drive.rotateFor(900, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 50, vex::velocityUnits::pct,false);//Drive forward to pick up ball on 
Intakes.rotateFor(4000, vex::rotationUnits::raw, 100, vex::velocityUnits::pct,true);//line and intakes it

}

void autonomous( void ) {
  if (selected == 1){BL_RR_Sort();}
  if (selected == 2){BR_RL_Sort();}
  if (selected == 3){BL_RR_2G();}
  if (selected == 4){BR_RL_2G();}
  if (selected == 5){OneBall();}
  if (selected == 6){Skills();} 
  if (selected == 7){BL_RR_CG();}
  if (selected == 8){BR_RL_CG();}
}

void usercontrol( void ) {
vex::task driveControl(driveControlTask);

while (1) {
Indexcontroll();
AutoIndex();

// This is the main execution loop for the user control program.
// Each time through the loop your program should update motor + servo
// values based on feedback from the joysticks.

// ........................................................................
// Insert user code here. This is where you use the joystick values to
// update your motors, etc.
// ........................................................................

vex::task::sleep(20); //Sleep the task for a short amount of time to prevent wasted resources.
}
}

//
// Main will set up the competition functions and callbacks.
//
int main() {

//Run the pre-autonomous function.
pre_auton();

//Set up callbacks for autonomous and driver control periods.
Competition.autonomous( autonomous );
Competition.drivercontrol( usercontrol );

//Prevent main from exiting with an infinite loop.
while(1) {
vex::task::sleep(100);//Sleep the task for a short amount of time to prevent wasted resources.
}

}

I forgot to mention don’t worry about all of the (crossed out) code. At one point I was testing something and just never reverted it back.

Yeah, I see how your usercontrol code executes now, looks good!

K good. Thanks.
20 characters

Because I am just curious can you show me an example how you would normally code it?

I would not have made those all separate functions, so I’d say it’d look something like this:

void usercontrol( void ) {

while(1) {
//Drive Control

LeftMotor.spin(direction, value, velocity);
RightMotor.spin(direction, value, velocity);
BackLeftMotor.spin(direction, value, velocity);
BackRightMotor.spin(direction, value, velocity);

//Intake and Indexer Control

if(Controller1.ButtonL2.pressing()) {
     Indexer.spin(direction, value, velocity);
     Intakes.spin(direction, value, velocity);
} else if(Controller1.ButtonR2.pressing()) {
     Indexer.spin(direction, value, velocity);
     Intakes.spin(direction, value, velocity);
} else if(Controller1.Button.pressing()) {
     Index.spin(direction, value, velocity);
     Index2.spin(direction, value, velocity);
     Intakes.stop();
} else {
Indexer.stop();
Intakes.stop();
}

task::sleep(20);

}
}

One thing that can help if you’re newer at usercontrol coding is drawing a flowchart with your desired outputs for each of several inputs. That way you can code your logic solidly instead of having to guess. Notice how all the code involving the indexer is in the same logic loop, that makes it cleaner but also much easier to debug. As a smaller note, you don’t have to put == true after a boolean; it assumes that you’re seeing if a boolean is true automatically.

Really, though, code how you want to. I prefer everything in one place, but coding in separate tasks might be easier or more organized to you. I always like to think that it doesn’t really matter if the code is perfect, it matters if your robot works.

3 Likes

Yah ok. That makes sense. Thanks for that.

1 Like

Just for no confusion then you would like me put a while loop at the bottom of the code for that to work correct?

Edited and added the while loop. Wow, I really forgot probably the most important part.

Yah ok. So you can either put it in the function or name it somewhere else. Sweet. I can’t believe I didn’t know this stuff before honestly. Kinda sad

1 Like