If we could break physics

I’m just wondering… if you could create any single part that could violate the laws of mechanical physics and was vex legal, what would it be? Please keep it practical. For reference, my first would be non-flexible 90 degree screws.

2 Likes

Care to elaborate on how this violate the laws of physics?

I am hoping Newton will not be turning in his grave.

12 Likes

I have a vice, a steel pipe, and a screw watch me.

As for breaking physics 0 friction anything

8 Likes

I am referring to a screw that would, with current physics, have to bend to go around the corner as it tightened. The flexibility of these screws is rather disappointing, and I would find a rigid screw that could be tightened around a corner very useful.

1 Like

Screwgate moment.

4 Likes

I would like to watch you. That sounds highly impractical but is sure to get some laughs later. Also, 0 friction is a good point, but I like to be able to sit in chairs and hold things with ease, so maybe everything is a stretch. I guess that’s not what you meant by ‘anything’ though, is it?

1 Like

Basically you are looking for ways to tighten a screw round corners?

Here you go…

3 Likes

The correct answer is “don’t waste this magic physics defying entity on competitive robotics, I want a lump of metal that violates the laws of thermodynamics and can generate more energy than I put into it.”

21 Likes

and reducing the entropy along the way as well.

12 Likes

14 Likes

mine wound be c-channel that can literally pass through other c-channel.

I wish for purple motor cartridges with torque and speed

5 Likes

Motors the fit exactly inside a c channel and preferably as small as possible

4 Likes

Hero Bot would actually be able to shoot as if it had a flywheel.

4 Likes

reference

13 Likes

Have fun with your 90 degree screw, with the next pick in the “Defies the laws of physics” draft, I select the Infinity Gauntlet.

3 Likes

I would create a v5 brain with ESD protection

22 Likes

I would like the C-Channel connectors 276-2575 in an L shape with two holes on each leg. It’s not an extrusion friendly shape, but I’d guess it could be stamped out.

1 Like

Aluminum C-channels and other structure are currently being made by roll-forming on the same tooling as the steel parts rather than extrusion, which reduces the cost (the steel channels can’t be extruded, and the aluminum, with its much lower volume, is done on the same tooling). But an L-shape would required some more significant tooling (I’d estimate about $300k for the 2-3 stamping dies required), so I can’s see that happening for a low-run part…

2 Likes

Thanks for the insight.

Wonder if a GoFundMe would work :roll_eyes: