Impossible Weight Reduction Techniques

Greetings Torqueative

It seems like the word extreme is going unheeded in this thread, so here are some proper measures to REALLY get the weight down:

My first tip would be to mount your battery high, as you move it away from the earths center of mass, it gets lighter by the increase in distance squared, equaling huge savings.

Placing magnets along the top of your chassis can also help you hang, as the attraction between the magnets and your chassis creates a net force upwards, improving your hang. Make sure you test this with a roof over your head, I nearly lost my first robot when I put on one too many and it started flying into the air.

Sand the back of your registration plates. This reduces the weight you need to invest in non-functional parts, but be careful, sanding them back too much can make your plates prone to breaking, and only noobs do that.

Paint your robot white, this reflects any extra unwanted photons that could become stuck to it saving you hundreds, if not quadrillions of yoctograms.

Fill any empty spaces on your bot with polystyrene, as it is a very light material.

Fill your pneumatics with helium. Although it was Q+A that you must use air the vex staff failed to specify from what planet, so the atmosphere of Jupiter should do nicely.

Avoiding side plates can save you the weight of 2 sheets of cardboard, 2 sheets of paper, and the ink on them. If your sponsors don’t understand the need for intense deweightifying at least use a laser printer, as the toner is significantly lighter than ink.

My final set of tricks are related to manipulating the aerodynamics of your bot, a pair of wings can really take the weight off at speed, and they were often used in gateway to give some bots a bit of an extra jump at the 30” goal.

Any spare motors should be put to rotating lexan helicopter blades to increase your up force.

If you add up the weight savings here, your robot should be able to go well into negative weight. This changes the nature of your materials to anti-matter, which means if a game is going poorly you should be able to ram into your opposition and completely remove them from existence, this will also obliterate your bot, so I would recommend perhaps saving that tactic for finals.

Best of luck in your weight saving measures

The King :cool:

1 Like

10/10 … brilliant !

2 Likes

I can’t stop laughing

1 Like

That is hilarious! I read it to my dad and he couldn’t stop laughing :stuck_out_tongue:

[FONT=“Arial Narrow”]A+[/FONT]

1 Like

Props to you mate.

Haha, not what I was expecting when I started reading. Pretty sure I’m going to like this place :smiley:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: truly innovative

Was taking a break from university exams to reminisce on my high school robotics days and I happen upon this thread. Couldn’t stop laughing to save my life. You sir deserve a medal.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned that I think should be is that fully charged batteries weigh a lot and so you should avoid fully charging them because the less power they have the less it weighs.

If you’re really worried about weight, just delete some code. Comments are unnecessary and are very heavy because they use another color. Deleting task main() is another great way to save.

Another thing I’ve found that is effective is simply placing /* at the very beginning of the code, as well as */ at the very end. This helps massively, as it makes all of your code the same colour. Another effective thing would be to place all of the code on one line, reducing the weight of Enters and Tabs.

Also, just FYI, charged batteries do not weigh more than dead ones. :smiley:

Actually, comments are ignored by the compiler and aren’t downloaded to the cortex. Deleting [FONT=“Fixedsys”]main[/FONT] should help, though

Actually, charged batteries do weigh more because electrons do have weight. It is so insubstantial that it will not effect robot performance. :slight_smile:

I find long autons, and driver control sections can double or triple the weight of a program.

Try pumping your tanks up with hydrogen. (kaboom!)

make your drive out of Lexan.

have your brain facing down so that the light photons ejected from the leds will give you some more lift.

teach your robot the force.

spin your robot around so that it is light headed

dust off your robot before every match

use a fake backup battery that’s lighter.

increase the local atmospheric pressure.

give the field and the robot the same charge.

Really good idea which I plan on doing next year.

I would also suggest making sure you use servo motors. They are very light, and are extremely useful on drives and intakes.

Not Necessarily, you might be able to run a match on a backup battery. or better yet, plug the backup battery straight into the motor.

I think you could reduce your weight by using all low strength gears, low strength chain, and 269 or 3 wire motors. The internal plastic gears in 3 wire motors save a lot of weight.

The number of times this happened in my robotics class and when I was mentoring a summer camp…

It happened only the first year of a camp I taught, and then the kids got smart and never used Servos ever again.

“Hey our drive doesn’t work?”

Well did you check the motor?