Indexing

What is indexing and how could I program it?

1 Like

Indexing is basically just sorting the balls, and spitting out the ones you dont want. You use a sensor like the vision or optical sensors to detect the color, then tell the sorting motor to spin to spit the ball out.
Disclaimer: I am not a programmer

4 Likes

If my optical sensor is at the start of the ball system how could I know when my ball reaches the ejection system.

1 Like

You could:

1. Move the optical sensor to be right in frontvof the ejection system
  2. Add a delay to the motor
  3. Add another sensor, like a limit switch, to detect when the ball reaches the ejector
6 Likes

Interesting. I thought that indexing was putting the ball to the correct spot so that minimal motor movement happens when you want to use it.
For example, ball A is intaked and indexed to the top, then ball B is intaked and indexed below ball A. Ball A is then spit out the top and simultaneously ball B is indexed to the top. Here is another good example:

I think what they’re talking about is known as “sorting”.

4 Likes

I think a more general way of defining “indexing” is –– quantifying and organizing the things that a subsystem interacts with. In this case, the balls in the uptake are quantified and in response, the uptake organizes the balls (based on the direction the rollers spin).

So, this technique of “indexing” is very useful even outside of change up. It’s a way of efficiently controlling a subsystem in response to a discrete set of objects.

4 Likes

You might be right, I just thought Sorting and indexing were used interchangeably. Now that you mention it, it seems “Sorting” makes more sense

1 Like