Inefficiencies of different shooters

Hey guys, I’m just curious to know what you guys think are the inefficiencies of the different types of launchers this year. These might include flywheels (and all their different possible configurations), slip-gear shooters, nautilus gear shooters, and whatever other types may have been used. Thanks.

Flywheel: very finicky. Too dependent of compression rate of the balls, which is a huge problem with these. But they can be perfected.

Slip Gear: Difficult to achieve a wide range of shot distances. Not impossible, (my team uses one that can shoot from anywhere on the field). We, however, keep managing to break teeth on our slip gear because of carelessness.

Nautilus Gear: Same as slip gear minus broken teeth.

Something I’d like to add about slip gears is that they are easier to tweak than nautilus shooters, since adjusting them is just changing the position of the stopper and removing teeth from a gear. With nautilus shooters I’m not sure how much tweaking can be done. Also, an issue with all elastic shooters is that they are more challenging to load at higher fire rates than flywheels.

Flywheels are the most accurate and can shoot from anywhere on the field if perfected. However, they are not very dependent on the ball densities as long as the compression is very low. Today i had a competition that had a mixture of balls from 3 different sourced and the difference was pretty bad, however we still got 22 preloads every match.

What is your setup/how do the teeth break? Because we’ve had a good bit of use on our setup and there is no wear to be seen on the gears.

Very interesting you should say that, because in our area (Nebraska, Iowa, and Missouri), the best launchers so far have been slip gear/nautilus launchers.

So you are sticking to flywheel?

I think for the most part but i have a secret weapon to use at states, but hbu? Also are u going to be competing at North Forsyth this upcoming weekend on the 20th. We should alliance, considering it would be a pretty easy win.

I wish I could, but i have a Lambert HS transistion even that i have to go to.
And also, we are redesigning our entire robot for states.

And by the secret weapon, you mean your lift right?

My team got our Nautilus shooter to work pretty well, but we agree that we are limited to just one position on the field.

We are currently working on a shot-variation mechanism that we will hopefully have ready in time for states (which is feb 21st for New Jersey). Even so, that’s a little bit optimistic given how long it takes to perfect something like this.

At the beginning of the year we used a nautilus gear system. It wasn’t bad but we ended up building a flywheel because the nautilus gear was unreliable and had a fire rate that was pretty much maxed out at 1 ball per second. Our flywheel is much more accurate and also has a much faster fire rate.

Hey are you 5249d?

Nope, we’re team 750C from South Brunswick High School haha

Hey its a New Jersey party in this thread.

Lol nice nice. NJ represent

Thanks for the very in-depth response! We didn’t really want to deal with the gripes that come with flywheels, and we also didn’t have more than three motors free in our robot set-up, so we figured a puncher would be a good solution.

Punchers do have plenty of issues, though. Strategically, unless there is some sort of angling mechanism (which would probably not work that well) or a shot variation mechanism in general, playing the field is nearly impossible. That’s why we’re seeing many teams using a short-range flywheel along with a puncher (slip-gear usually). A team that comes to mind that, in my opinion, made it popular, is Stanley Shi’s team: 2R.