Intake idea: vertical roller intake

I’ve seen a lot of robots with different types of claws, but an idea for an intake I came up with is a vertical roller intake.

A basic robot would consist of something like a reverse double 4-bar with the intake on the top. The intake consists of 2 vertical axles with sprockets and chain flaps around the sprockets. The axles are wide enough to fit a cone thru. When the axles spin opposite directions It is very similar to Nothing But Net intakes, except it’s vertical and twice the intake…

After that, the designs could change. I sketched up a basic robot with this intake (SolidWorks file below), and in it, the cone sits in a compartment between the intake and another pair of vertical rollers. When the interior rollers run, they will move a cone back, where it will stack internally on a goal or stack.

For the image/file below…

Left: the first design, showing a side view of the robot fully extended. This shows the vertical intake rollers, a compartment to store a cone, and interior vertical rollers, which outtake to an open area, where a stack would be. The first design does have a few inconsistencies with the other designs.

Top right: A top-down view of the robot. There is a lot here, but it was mostly made for spacing out the intake compartment, mobile goal lift, drivebase, and other components. The top-down view shows the intake compartment, positioning for the vertical rollers, and where a mobile goal lift would go behind the robot. It also shows it with a drivebase, and there isn’t enough room for rear drive motors, so a 6-wheel drivebase might be necessary. There is a little room between the mobile goal lift and the cone compartment when it is stowed away, possibly for the cortex and batteries.

Bottom right: A close-up of the cone compartment. It is supposed to intake from the left and outtake to a stack/goal on the right. On the outtake side, there is a hinged ramp. Hinged so that it can go over the middle section mentioned above, and ramp so that when stacking, cones could go across the middle section.

This isn’t a full robot design, and there are quite a few flaws. The design is more complex than a claw, but it does have some advantages to it. If you need anything cleared up, I’ll try my best to help you.
robot-test.zip (548 KB)
robot-test.JPG

Goliath intake kinda like this?

Yes. This is a simpler design than my sketch. However, I don’t think you could internally stack this way.

not with a chain bar
internal

So . . . Side rollers :slight_smile:

Why can’t you stack internally using Goliath with a chain bar?