Intake system

Why does the intake system has to have two different sized gears?

Please be more specific, nobody can really help you if they don’t know what you are talking about.

5 Likes

First off, Joey is right 100%. We really can’t help if you don’t give us details. Second, I’m still gonna try my best to help you:

Assumptions I am making:

1. You are talking about the 448X Goofy RI3D reveal
  2. By gears you mean sprockets
  3. You are talking about the tank tread on the flip-out arms

Assuming all of that is true:

They made the sprockets different sizes to better intake cubes from and angle the path of the chain so the cubes would “self corrrect” if they were off center.

7 Likes

I think what he was referring to was why the sprockets on the intake rollers needed to have different sizes. The reason is to allow cubes to more easily be channeled into the cube intake system. By creating a wider opening there is more space to channel cubes.

the rollers don’t have to be different sizes, it just makes the intake faster because it’s a speed ratio. The fact that there are two sprockets makes it so the intake can collect misaligned cubes and turn them to the correct orientation. I believe there is a better explanation in the 448x ri3d documentary.

1 Like

I’d like to point out that this thread is in the wrong category. It is in #edr-general-discussion:chit-chat-rumor-mill when it should be in a technical discussion category.

2 Likes

It actually doesn’t. Although the smaller sprocket has a higher rotational speed, the speed at which their exterior (the flaps connected to both of them) is the same on both of them.

3 Likes

Really? I didn’t know that. I haven’t had an opportunity to physically check the speed. My response was more of a hypothesis than anything else

1 Like

Yes, while the smaller sprocket spins faster, due to gear ratios (which still apply), the larger sprocket will spin more slowly than if it was directly hooked to the motor.
An example would be a 12 tooth running a 60 tooth. The 12 tooth spins 5 times as fast(I’m pretty sure but dont quote me on this physics isn’t my thing). However, the 12 tooth gear also goes 1/5 the distance (we’ll use chain links as our unit of measurement). So the 12 tooth goes 12 links per revolution. The 60 tooth goes 60 links in one revolution. The 12 tooth makes 5 revolutions in the time the 60 tooth makes one. 5 x 12 = 60. 60 x 1 = 60. Both gears travel 60 chain links in the given time.

Someone yell at me if I’m wrong lol

2 Likes

I WILL YELL at you because I believe you are indeed correct.

2 Likes