Inventor Freezes up Laptop

I am running Autodesk Inventor on my ASUS Q405U laptop. Whenever I try to save, start a sketch, move the model, shrinkwrap an object, constrain parts, and pretty much everything else, Inventor will say “not responding”, freeze, and my whole computer freezes up, and it takes like 5 minutes to unfreeze which makes CADing very hard. It’s a laptop I bought in late 2018, I just updated Inventor, I have tried rebooting my computer, I put Inventor on Conservative mode and everything, but it still runs super slow.

This has always been an issue, but now that I actually need it for design purposes it is really, really been getting on my nerves. It happened on my old laptop, and now my new one as well. Is there any way to fix this?

Do you have anything else running on your laptop?

Just Chrome, which has a YouTube tab playing for entertainment purposes.

I’m honestly not sure but you could check task manager to see what else may be slowing down your laptop.

1 Like

I used to have this problem with like Autodesk 2017 and Fusion 360. So I stopped using them and uninstalled them and installed Autodesk 2020. My laptop doesn’t freeze up as much now so maybe you could try that?

Thanks for the tip, I’m trying to install that now. I have a student licence for inventor and fusion360, will it work for autocad?

It seems that ASUS includes a large amount of bloatware with their laptops. Usually, such bloatware consists of poorly written programs that consume lots of system resources despite being completely undesirable.

I would strongly recommend you complete a “fresh start” reset of Windows. You will probably see a significant performance increase of your computer in general, even if it does not solve the Inventor issue.

2 Likes

I believe @Rambot_F was referring to Autodesk Inventor 2020, not AutoCAD 2020.

Okay, that explains a lot. Autocad is definitely not what I’m looking for.

I plan on doing this, but I’m gonna need to

a) Back up all of my files, especially the custom-sketched Inventor parts I made for myself which include I-mates everywhere

b) Talk with my mom about it (like a 5-day process)

inventor uses a lot of RAM, 1, how much RAM does your laptop have and I agree with @Rambot_F check task manager for RAM usage.

Yea sorry my bad
(20 characters)

For anyone posting about the system specifications:

Look it up.
@TaranMayer already indicated he is using an ASUS Q405U.

It has an i5-8250U — a hyperthreaded quad-core with a base frequency of 1.6 GHz and maximum Turbo Boost frequency of 3.4 GHz.

It also has 8 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM and a 1 TB, 5400 RPM hard drive.

In other words, the hardware is more than adequate for running Inventor without freezing, even though it may not be capable of handling more complex assemblies.

Yes. It definitely should be able to run Inventor adequately. It definitely slows down as I make larger assemblies, but I can solve that by shrinkwrapping whenever I finish a subsystem.

Inventor 2020 is installing now. It’s like 80% done, having been running for like an hour.

Still very Caton.

The official explanation of the inventor core algorithm has so far only supported single threading.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-chan-pin-ji-shu-ying-yong-tao-lun-qu/you-mei-ban-fa-jie-jue-yi-he-you-nan-31he-wei-guan-de-wen-ti-a/td-p/8824938

Honestly, not really. Inventor is terribly optimized. Inventor struggles to use Integrated graphics from all my experience with it. It hates working with anything else, including its own software.

If a fresh install doesn’t work, I would highly recommend posting on a place that has people who know what they are talking about, https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/bd-p/78

1. No need to be rude (that’s how it came across, at least)
  2. Yes, the official Inventor forum actually is probably more valid than the VEX Forum for this
  3. I do know what I’m talking about. I had no trouble running Inventor, without freezing, on my old laptop with a mere i3-3217U and Intel HD Graphics 4000.
  4. Inventor may indeed be terribly optimized, but it certainly wouldn’t be anywhere near as popular as it is if it consistently “struggles to use integrated graphics” and “hates working with anything else.”

I’m being very rude to Inventor. I meant no rudeness to you, sorry if it came across that way.

I never claimed you didn’t know what you were talking about. I said the Inventor forum has people who know what they are talking about, not that people here don’t. This is a broad robotics forum, not the best replacement for a place that has people with lifetimes of experience with Inventor.

Solidworks is more widespread in the professional environment. There is a reason for that. Honestly, half of the reason Inventor is as popular as it is here is because of cost. It’s free.

And I’m not saying it consistently has problems. I’m sure it works fine for a lot of people, but in my personal experience, it’s compatibility and optimization is subpar. To get inventor to work, I had to install it two times. When my trial and ran out, and I had to switch to student version, I had to reinstall the entire program. It appears that similar things are happening here.

Autodesk can’t make their own software work with itself… I cannot open an Autodesk Inventor file in Autodesk Maya to render it. I’ve had problems with Autodesk software, and their support/tutorials aren’t nearly as helpful as DS.

1 Like