Is 1 motor strong enough to spin a high rpm flywheel & intake?

I agree our original plan was a 6 motor drive but after testing we realized one motor flywheel just wasn’t going to work

Right now we are 4 motor drive and 2 blue motor flywheel 84 to 12 gear ratio

1 Like

So we are around 3500 rpm

After some getting board and doing some math I calculated that the blue motors at that rpm have 1 horse power

A 84:12 gear ratio on blue 600 rpm motors would be 4200 rpm?

3 Likes

those are not vents. They do nothing and are purely decorational.

6 Likes

What kind of canned air do you use?

/s

2 Likes

What do you all think about using a ratchet or pto (power take off) mechanism to get a 2m flywheel when shooting? (or when accelerating, whichever is more necessary)

I feel like having a 6 motor drive world 3 be very beneficial for this game, as it seems like it will end up being very defensive.

Or maybe a pto from the intake to the flywheel or different mechanisms like was used a lot in TiP?

Not sure, but really want to hear some thoughts on this.

1 Like

(disclaimer im not competing this season) My current robot design is using a 6motor drive base with a double ratched intake, and then a 2 motor flywheel with a ratcheted angle changing hood, the roller mech is chained to the intake and indexing is using pneumatics

2 Likes

This sounds like a sweet bot. Can you explain what the ratchets all do in a bit more detail?

1 Like

using 4 ratchets, 2 for each side of the drive base, the intake will spin as long as at least one side of the drive base is moving forwards or backward

using 4 ratchets again, 2 per motor (1 for a basic flywheel ratchet, other for angle changing), the flywheel can be powered by 2 motors and if the left motor reverses its direction the angle of the hood will decrease, and if the right motor changes direction the angle of the hood will increase

10 Likes

what is a pto mech?

And yes I hope to do ratchets for lots and lots of power sharing.

1 Like

I’d like to believe your comment, can you show some of the homework that was behind it?

4 Likes
1 Like

Funny / not so funny story to share. When you are testing flywheels make sure you are accelerating and decelerating the motors.

During NBN our team was testing a flywheel and controlling it with a joystick. They got the wheel up to 3000 RPM and then said “Ok, stop” to which the driver threw the stick in reverse and the motor assemblies physically exploded. Not a pretty sight.

Make sure you design your programming to prevent this from happening. Avoid brake and hold settings.

21 Likes

we also did that for our clamp motor

Ya your right I was was thinking 500 for the blue

Only way this would be possible is if the flywheel and intake are running seperately but while not completely impossible, it would be rather difficult to make (I know of a way to do one with a differential and ratchets) although that method might increase friction reducing overall power, plus the differential would be the vex advanced gear kit one which is small and probably not suited for very high strength applications (also I havent tested the mechanism) (also I designed it when thinking of possible motor claws in tipping point I would have to revisit it to see if it is possible with this kind of mechanism)

Another way would be to have the motor gear connected on a loose connection and have the gear shift when the motor moves another way, I saw a team do this with a mechanism to allow or prevent balls from entering the flywheel.

You don’t need a 6m drive
mecanum wheels will work just fine

Which can also be expressed as 131.2 duckpower

2 Likes

Thank You Random citizen Meme – EntertainmentMesh

3 Likes

This situation can also be avoided by using ratchets, and just letting the flywheel free spin