Is a 6 motor drive a good idea?

So this year, my team is thinking of building a more defensive robot, with a 6 motor drive. In case you’re wondering, we will also have a 1 motor flywheel, and a 1 motor intake. Do you think that a robot design like this would be good?

2 Likes

As someone that has used this motor distribution before, I would recommend it. You will be able to have your drive go faster with 6 motors as well. I would recommend a 360 rpm on 3.25 inch wheels.

For the flywheel, make a 3600 rpm wheel and use 3 inch flex wheels. 45a has worked the best for me fyi. 1 motor is good enough if you double stack the flex wheels. Here is a video on how to do it:

9 Likes

606X method isn’t as easy to replicate I hear. I had issues that were caused by something else, but a lot of people are having trouble getting it to even 3k apparently. Just gear it up tbh, safer bet

3 Likes

We got our flywheel down to around 1.4 watts with this solution. No added friction, no slip

2 Likes

What tool did you use to cut that? That looks to me like a VersaHex Adapter with a metal HS insert in it, or am I mistaken?

We used an engraving bit on a dremel :face_with_spiral_eyes:

It’s a versa hub adapter that we widened at the bottom to accept a cut piece of 1x1 aluminum.

We just shaped the hole on the aluminum to fit the gear and put a capped axle attached to an insert to mate it to a shaft

3 Likes