Is a Tray Stacker A good idea?

Our team is deciding if we want to build a tray stacker or go simple but we can’t decide on any pros or cons. Does anyone have any input? Is it a good idea or should we go simple.

You mean complex tray where the arms go up or the dr4b tray?

Go complex since you can score towers.

If dr4b then try it since you can get tower easier and stack on other stacks. It is a complex build though. We are building one

1 Like

I would honestly just build a simple tray because you guys are probabley pretty inexperienced. Its better to have a simple traybot that works well rather than a complex tray that isnt very good. You also want time to be able to make a decent auton. Towers are not really very useful anyways once you get stacks higher than 10.

4 Likes

Here’s what I know. Hope it helps.

Simple traybots are robots with a tray bolted onto the robot itself, and have the intake directly mounted to the tray. As I have built two of these, I am pretty experienced with them, and this being my first year in robotics, I can say they are the best for a new team. Simple tray traybots also offer great potential and can be very competitive. The main weakness for this design is that its ability to control towers is limited. Scoring and descoring towers can be challenging for this robot, and other designs can do this quicker and more efficiently.

The tray stacker, which I will refer to as tray-lift, is a design that basically takes a tray (with the intake mounted to it) and slaps it onto a big heckn lift (usually a DR4B). These are quite complicated and will require the mechanic to sacrifice two of his motors to appease… to meet the power demands of the lift, tray and intake, and the cubes. This means you either have a 3 motor drive or a 1 motor intake. And 0 motor tilter isn’t really an option, as you will want a tilter. This robot will also be slower and larger, and if not carefully designed will run into problems when stacking in the zones. However, the tray-lift traybot can control towers very well. It also makes stacking on top of existing stacks a possibility.

The final type of traybot is the complex tray traybot. These are similar to simple traybots except the intake is mounted on an arm. This makes scoring and descoring cubes in towers easy and efficient. It’s also far less complicated than a tray-lift, not to mention lighter, smaller, and faster. The complex tray traybot is still a complicated design, and I wouldn’t recommend it to teams that don’t have much experience in VEX.

My personal recommendation for most teams is to start with a simple traybot, and once you have more experience, try a complex traybot. I think some teams could go straight to a complex traybot. Don’t build a tray-lift unless you absolutely know what you’re doing.

Again, hope this helps. =)

4 Likes

Even me and my team, containing a lot of experience, built a simple traybot, with no lift, that can intake and score consistently. We went undefeated at the competition.

1 Like

wait @Connor didn’t u say u were doing some super build with a drive train that took 4 weeks

That is correct, our drivetrain did take 4 weeks to build. We went through 2-4 designs while discussing with other teams about how to build a solid and well-built drivetrain that can last the entire season. The drivetrain is the most important part, so we put 75-80% of our effort on the drive so we can be certain that we can rely on the drivetrain while driving. The drivetrain contains odometry, anti-tips, and the best efforts of high build quality to ensure that structural intetrity is promised and nothing will ever get loose over time. The additional stuff on the top of the robot for cube manipulation took us only 1 week to build (Which worked pretty well since we prioritized only one part of the game). The drivetrain is extremely well-built, and despite being small and nimble the robot will never tip regardless of how extreme the acceleration and deceleration is. We knew how easy tipping is, so that is why we put so much effort for just a mere drivetrain.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.