Is it illegal to pull the battery out of an opposing team's machine (either intentionally or unintentionally) during a game?

Is it illegal to pull the battery out of an opposing team’s machine (either intentionally or unintentionally) during a game?
This is a question that has been bothering me for a long time
:roll_eyes:Because it is not specifically stated in the rule book

2 Likes

Check again:

4 Likes

Besides common sense, G12 would apply.

I suppose you might try “lawyer talk” to try to convince the head referee that pulling your opponents battery doesn’t “damage” their robot, but I’d still give you a DQ for G12 violation if you did it deliberately at one of our matches. Outside of lawyer talk, you would have to “entangle” your opponents battery to get a hold of it and pull it off.

Now, the unintentional knocking of your opponent battery might be ok…but the key is that you are not deliberately doing it.

6 Likes

this would fall under entanglement. If you pull out their battery accidentally then you shouldn’t get a penalty but let’s say you get entangled on the battery and are notified to try to get it unentangled, and then you intentionally pull it out after you accidentally got entangled. That most likely would get you a violation.

3 Likes

this specific situation has happened to me, intentionally or unintentionally I’m unsure. match was not replayed nor did the team receive a violation or dq. It was interesting. I believe it was just in heat of trying to steal the mogo out of our back clamp, so that’s why it was just shrugged off, with no real reason this season to have a large amount of contact I would presume either intentionally or unintentionally removing the opponents battery will not end well for either party.

4 Likes

i dont remember seeing anyone get dqed for this ngl but im sure there have been instances of it, and if ur thinking about doing it dont:)

2 Likes

ohhhhh that’s terrible
I found a picture that is related to the battery problem I mentioned before. You can see the picture of a robot with the battery pulled out.

1 Like

Not a problem really - if your robot yanked it out deliberately, really a you problem. If battery fell off because opposing alliance team decided to design a robot with the battery as their shock absorber, that is a them problem :slight_smile:

but seriously 1) build better robots, and 2) don’t be a horrible person yanking batteries from novice team… no good comes from that.

ps: your illustration does not help to clarify your point - all we see is a battery on the field.

8 Likes

No need to.

Robots fall apart - sometimes due to design, and sometimes due to poor sportsmanship where a team goes out of its way to disable a robot intentionally and sometimes due to skill levels. Either case for latter scenario, teams should back off.

1 Like

Thank you so much. This allows me to redesign my robot. I’m new to the forum and I’m shocked to get so many answers. :laughing:

Don;t be shocked. Try to give quality feedback to help others improve designs .

1 Like

Edit: I found it!

Honestly I’ve seen robots have their batteries disconnected (either by their opponents or their own fault) too many times to leave a battery exposed like this.

5 Likes

It’s really great! Do you have a link to the video of the game? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Uhhh, unfortunately the event livestream link is invalid (WeChat miniprogram just links back to the invalid site unfortunately) but I am in the process of uploading all matches to YouTube. When I have them up I’ll most likely make a post here with the playlist link.

1 Like

yoink
DQ

7 Likes

So it’s against the rules, right?

Officially it will be against the rules.
Generally it should be as well. But a lot depends on circumstances, eg. If the robot has its battery and brain so exposed that it is asking for troubles, then it may not be the fault of the opponent.

7 Likes