Is this a bug in Driver Control Program..?

Or am I just doing something silly?? Built clawbot with sensors from manual with super kit (red gears, blue pins, no plastic shafts, kit before 2014 refresh).

All works well except in Driver Control when the arm is lowered and touches the bumper switch, arm up is disabled instead of arm motor down being disabled, so arm gets stuck and can no longer move up. Bumper switch on port 9 and arm motor on port 10. Firmware is v1.12 and all parts have being updated with firmware reapplied again also.

I have tried to fix by configuring the motor 10 to reversed within the Driver Control Configure LCD display option and this does indeed reverse the motor so joystick L down causes arm up and L up causes arm down. But even after doing this, while pushing the bumper switch with your finger only arm down movements are allowed and not arm up!!

Am I missing something daft, or is this a bug in the Driver Control program of v1.12?

I know it’s not a big deal, but just curious if anybody else has seen this problem.

Hi c5000,

For the built in Driver Control program, Port 8 stops the motor on Port 10 in one direction, and Port 9 stops the motor on Port 10 in the other direction. Does switching the Bumper Switch to Port 8 solve the problem?

In the 2014 Kit Refresh we corrected a typo in the old instructions, and the new Clawbot IQ build instructions specify Port 8.

Regards,

• Art

Thanks Art. That was it. With Bumper on port 8 it works as expected. I was using the original manual that came with the older kit. By the way, can you create the new robots, Ike etc. using the old kit, using metal shafts instead of plastic ones etc or do you know if there are some unique parts in the new builds that are not in the older maroon coloured kit that prevent this?

Hi c5000,

We have specific instructions for building the Armbot IQ using the older kits - these are referenced by the maroon building instructions in the Appendix.

Ike and V-Rex currently do not have this Appendix for pre-2014 kits, as they rely on the new plastic shafts in their construction techniques. The Capped and Motor shafts reduce and/or eliminate the need for Shaft Collars, so mechanisms are smaller and more compact than they would be with metal shafts.

All of the parts in the new Super Kits, Starter Kits, and Foundation Add-on kits are bundled together into family packs that will soon be available for separate purchase. For example, all of the 1x Beams in the new Super Kit will soon be available in 1x Beam Base Pack and all of the Plastic Shafts will be available in the Plastic Shaft Base Pack.

Regards,

• Art

Thanks Art,

That’s good to know. I think we may invest in some of the extra family packs when they are available.

Regards,

c5000.