Is this legal

I know that the Game Manual says something about only being able to possess one cap at a time. Is it legal to put all the caps in a corner and kind of guard them, but not obviously doing so?

For example, say I put all the caps in a corner, and an opposing team’s robot comes to flip them. Can I go and block them from going to the caps?

0 Likes

I think this would violate the spirit of the hoarding rule. So, I woukd seem it illegal if I were a ref. I think the manual even says something about caps in corners.

1 Like

If its in the corner, no, that is considered hoarding. There is a maximum amount of game objects you can legally hoard but I don’t know the number
You can push them into the corner and leave them but you cannot actively guard them.

0 Likes

Above are the rules that apply. Please read the Game Manual.

2 Likes

You could push the caps into the space between two flag towers. You could guard them then. Notice how the rule specifies in any of the 4 corners of the field.

0 Likes

That would be a great question for the official Q&A. What constitutes a “corner”?

0 Likes

I think it’s been discussed way back when the game was announced. If the manual specifically describes 4 corners, I think it means the four corners of the field, not any inlaying corners created by game elements.

0 Likes

I agree that the wording of the Game Manual is interpreted as the four corners of the field. On the other hand, stashing them between two flag towers would also be in violation of the spirit of the hoarding rule. I do think it is a valid question to ask on the official Q&A.

0 Likes

I don’t have the ability to ask, but clarifying the spirit of the rule might be nice. But, it’s legal as written

Edit: It being legal, but slightly unethical, might draw some stares from refs. Be careful not to violate possession limits or any other rules when doing so.

0 Likes

I asked. So let’s wait and see what the answer might be.

0 Likes

One thing to note about putting them between two flag posts is that the area there covers 2 tiles, and the rule says the space of 1 tile so it is likely fine but thank you @536Mentor for asking

0 Likes

I didn’t even notice that. I wonder if anyone ever came across this? I did notice some teams we went up against put the caps near the flags instead of the corners. They didn’t stick around though, so I didn’t think about it much (being in corner vs NOT in corner).

0 Likes

if you were to hoard them between 2 flag posts, you would most likely not be truly violating any rules, but unless you have a really open ref, they would probably call you out for hoarding.

0 Likes

They did end up ruling this fine (not hoarding, yes legal):

https://www.robotevents.com/VRC/2018-2019/QA/145

0 Likes

I know it’s legal, but most refs around here would probably still want to DQ you.

0 Likes

In this sort of situation, you would need to have your team members armed with the relevant rules and the Q/A items printed and ready to go.

Althogh its legal, you will need to defend it… respectfully

2 Likes