Is vex a sport?

So, debate of the day: is vex a sport?

no question about it, it definitely is.

I’m pretty sure robotics is considered a varsity sport in some areas

1 Like

Members in the past have also opined on this subject:

https://vexforum.com/t/is-vex-a-sport/43176/1

https://vexforum.com/t/vex-robotics-competition-as-a-high-school-varsity-sport/40610/1

Hello,

As much as golf is a sport.

-Sal

nah

When the robotics team is more successful in trophies than the varsity sports team

I see it as a sport because it’s competitive.
People in my school don’t even know about it because it’s heavily overshadowed by our sports performances and the science olympiad (which I got rejected from, so welcome to the low life!)

I personally can see Vex as a sport.

According to the Merriam Webster Dictionary a “Sport” is defined as: “a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other”

I can argue (even if it is a bit of a stretch) that the building our bots, running around at competitions and typing out our programs qualifies as a “physical activity”. Regardless, Vex clearly checks all the other boxes in order to be a definition sport.

According to the Merriam Webster Dictionary a “Sport” is defined as: “a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other”
I’m going to focus on “Certain physical activities”
The physical activity is pretty minimal. Though this is a person who actually plays basketball, golf, soon cross country as school sports as well as robotics. My opinion might be a bit biased. My school definitely doesn’t consider it a sport. When our old coach was here he advocated for even basic recognition for the club. All we got was an announcement on the calendar that we were going to our tournaments.

(Btw I believe VEX is a sport but I want to spark more conversation) I am in a huge thought of mind as to what exactly is a sport. Yeah sure, a sport must have physical actions in which it is to compete against each other, but according to what you’re saying wouldn’t all fine arts programs be considered a sport as well if they are at least used in a competitive manner? All fine arts programs require “physical” actions. Same thing with gaming and many other activities.

I see your arguement here about Vex having “minimal” physical activity, but per definition it does not stipulate how much physical activity is required for an activity to be considered a sport.

While I see your slippery slope arguement that if Vex is a sport (With its minimal physical activity and compettions) then wont competitive fine arts also be sports. However, the “compete against each other” per definition seems to imply an active, “head-on-head” competition, compared to how a fine art would be judged and ranked against each other. As per gaming, there is Esports which when boiled down to its core is already a sport.

Just to throw more things into the mix… international chess is actually recognised by IOC as a sports.

https://www.olympic.org/world-chess-federation

Just that I think we rarely see chess being part of Olympic games.

So in that sense, it is possible to have something that has zero physical activity involved to be recognised as a sport.
Currently, the key point is - is the federation recognised by IOC (as a sport)?

Well, bullet chess seems pretty active to me :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I would say no. Sports normally last one season (except football). Sports are more intense, and they require people to push themselves in order to succeed.

@ReeseSteindler if you aren’t pushing yourself in order to succeed for vex you are doing vex wrong. I would argue that vex is much more intense than a lot of other sports, like golf. I don’t know about you, but I along with probably a lot of other people here put thousands of hours into their robot just like how one would prepare for a “proper sport.” It is almost offensive to imply that students like us don’t push ourselves to succeed. The amount of effort student leaders do just to have a robotics team (in my experience having to fight the administration and the rest of the school every step of the way) would make this much more intense than most sports. I am actually getting quite heated from this conversation so I will just leave you to think about the amount of effort teams like 5225A put into their robot, and how much they had to push themselves in order to innovate a robot able to win worlds.

If Formula one is a sport, than so is vex.

Ie. sitting in a chair and pushing pedals is apparently sufficient physical activity.

Personally, I don’t see robotics as a sport. For me my cut-off for physical activity shows up in anaerobic or aerobic exercise. I believe that is where @ReeseSteindler 's “intensity” was meant: physical intensity. I’ve competed in math and bridge at high levels, which require moving a pencil and paper or cards (or keys on a keyboard) around. I’ve competed in cross-country skiing at a high level. The former and the latter are drastically different in terms of physical intensity.

But if chess and bridge count, what shouldn’t? Breathing is a physical activity, so if we’re going with any physical activity at all, we might as well remove that physical activity part from the definition. But if that’s an intended part of the definition and an interpretation makes it irrelevant, then the interpretation would seem to be in disagreement with the intent of the definition. Of course, do we actually know the definition the IOC uses for “sport” to see if it actually matches more common definitions of sports? I couldn’t find it in a really quick search.

The definition doesn’t specify what type of physical activity right? So the physical activity of the robot could be counted, meaning we’re talking about some serious exercise here