ITZ Strategy Development

Let’s talk strategy… This is the 5th month after the release of In the Zone, and any strategy threads appear dead. There are now plenty of matches online, and I’ve had the chance to see a competition in person. Where do you see this game going? Specifically, do you think it is more effective to carry a mobile goal with you, and score on it as you move, or to stack on mobile goal and then carry it to its zone. In an ideal match, should each partner deliver two mobile goals and stack on the stationary goal, or should one focus on match loads on a single base, and the stationary goal, while the other does three bases, or some other combination? Is it worth your time to move a cone or two from one stack to another in the end game to gain a highest stack advantage, or should you go across the field to get a single cone. Is hoarding opposing bases worth your time? How far out of your way should you go to block your opponent, when you could be scoring. Etc…

I think internal stackers - for sure
2 and 2 probably - but faster bot does the match loads
I think cone moving is gonna be important - but won’t happen a lot as teams just aren’t capable of doing it.
I’m still unsure abt fallen cones

Personally I think it’s best to plan as if your partner can do virtually nothing when designing. That way, you can get the most important tasks done yourself if needed. Then, I usually plan a different strategy based on each type of basic design I see going on in my region and how to best use that sort of partner.

The best way to deal with fallen cones is probably to develop some sort of quick, passive (not using a motor) that can tip the cone back upright. It’s only really worth recovering the cone if it’s near the end of the match and there aren’t many cones, though.

As i keep saying, the need of a mechanism to tip unrighted cones is silly, you can simply add a piece of metal to touch the large end of the cone and drive in the correct direction, the cone digs into the field tiles and rights itself.

this is definitely the correct assumption, as if your partner can do everything good, you only have to do 1/2 the things, however if your partner cannot do anything and you’ve made the assumption that they cannot while designing the robot, you still have a chance of winning.

Totally agree.

In fact, you dont even need to add any extra pieces.
Just that a look at how 8059Z upright the cones…
It takes a bit of extra practice that’s all… no need to have extra pieces.

tbf, i just added a single piece of aluminum to make the large bit of the cone slot in better ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Thank you for responses thus far. I made this thread in response to this and similar threads complaining about a lack of in depth content. Here is your chance forum…

Even though cones being knocked over is not game ending to most intakes, it will slow them down a lot. I’m still interested in seeing a robot that picks up sideways cone well knock over all the cones in auton to slow people down.

Plain old defense could be interesting, too. If you block the match loader, you prevent the other team from getting 24 points, plus the one of the highest stack bonuses potentially. Combine that with one or two protected mogos, and you have a decent strategy. Is it game breaking? Maybe not. But it’s not that hard, could be done by a “normal” robot and might be a useful strategy in a pinch.

I would be worried that by intentionally programming an auton that would be aggressive enough to block a loader might be looked at more harshly during driver control. Even if you aren’t in control during auton, if you hit someone it could be considered match affecting. I would caution you to think about this alot.

Hitting someone in autonomous or driver control is totally legal. Pinning or trapping in autonomous is actually legal. The only big issue would be crossing into the 10-point zone, or knocking over a stack.

You don’t have to hit anyone to block the match loader. You don’t even have to block it in auton. Teams can’t place the match loads until after auton, and most will rush to the hotly contested cones on the field, saving the match loads for last (like everyone did in NBN). You just have to get to the loader before they do, and/or shove them out of the way, and BAM! You denied them 24 points. No hitting, pinning, trapping, or grabbing needed.

Doesn’t G12 say you are responsible for whatever you do in auton?

Yes, but here is the definition of pinning/trapping.

And “hitting” is totally legal, presuming nothing illegal is done in the process.

K thx

You are able to put your match loads during auton as seen here.

Also I misread the original post and thought you were talking about auton, and I apologize for misquoting the match affecting rule. I was thinking of a different scenario.

The reason you’ve seen nobody going for a cone tipping strategy is that tipping more than 1 cone violates SG9. Also, pinning is only a good strategy if the person you are pinning would score more points than you could in the same time. So it’s only good for stopping someone getting a mobile goal at the end of the match or if your opponents have a better bot than you (Don’t let that happen). If you have a lame partner, though, it might be a good idea to throw them at your opponents bots.

There’s actually a pretty easy way to consider strategy- do a day of practice matches in which you play each type of strategy, then calculate your points for each one and go with the highest strategy. For highest stacks, you want to concentrate cones onto a certain zone, usually the 10 or 5 point zone. For defense, you just ask yourself if you could score more points than you are preventing at the given time, and then play defense if you could prevent more. As for your partner, use them to fill the holes in your strategy.

Not true. Check out this Q&A post:link

Interesting. In that case, it might be a good idea to have your partner take them down and have your bot designed for a fast offense with tipped cones. I can’t remember what it was called, but I saw a video of someone who could tip the cone back upwards with a small flick of their drivetrain.