Just clarifying, Are gopro's allowed?

Rule R13b says “Small cameras are permitted as non-functional decorations, provided that any transmitting functions or wireless communications are disabled. Unusually large cameras being used as ballast are not permitted.”
I have a gopro hero 6 that I want to put on my robot to use to record matches at state, would that be allowed as long as I turn off Bluetooth/streaming settings and all that stuff, or would a bigger GoPro like the hero 6 be considered a large camera (it will be on the crossbeams of our tank drive so low down and in the middle, so not providing much ballast, but I want to make sure its ok so that I don’t fail inspection at states). I’m sure it should be fine I just want to be safe rather than sorry so I want to hear what you guys think about it (any people who have ran inspection or are a ref or something like that your input would be especially appreciated).

3 Likes

I do think that it is legal. The hero 6 is still a very small camera and as rule of thumb just make sure that you can take it off easily if an inspector has issues with it.

14 Likes

I would say it is no problem. However, make sure that you can take it off if the ref or inspectors ask you to.

3 Likes

@9MotorGang yeah I’ll put the mount on the robot with a strong adhesive tab so basically permanently but I can always just take the camera off the mount in a second if the inspector asks me to since I can just slide it out of the mount. Thank you guys.

1 Like

My understanding of the rule is that cameras are allowed as long as you are all of its communications are turned off.

1 Like

From my experience, yes. I’ve put a GoPro on my robot at a tournament earlier this year and notified the inspectors about it. They had no complaints, but I made sure it was easy to remove if they changed their mind.

1 Like

I’ve mounted a hero 8 black at both Wave @ WPI and VCAT tournaments, and have passed inspection both times with it on the bot this year.

1 Like