KPL for Ball Bearings?

I feel like WD-40 is not that effective, and I have KPL and Hobbe’s No. 7 gun oil lying around, and was wondering how effective they were, as KPL does seem to work with other ball bearings (like fidget spinners). If not, what are some good options to lubricate the high-strength shaft ball bearings?

Unlike Fidget Spinner bearings, the High Strength Shaft Ball Bearings come pre-lubricated.

This is why they “feel” like they are harder to spin than say, a fidget spinner.

This lubrication helps the bearing spin under loads, and prevents friction when the ball bearings ride along any slight imperfections in the race, thus generating less heat and prolonging the life of the bearing.

You shouldn’t need to lubricate the bearings any further.

6 Likes

Yes, but wouldn’t the lubricate tend to run out, or wear out with usage? Compared to when I first received the HS Ball Bearings, they now feel much harder to spin, and on the edge of sticking.

1 Like

Understood.

If you are interested in re-lubricating the bearings then, you might find more success with higher viscosity lubricants than the oils you described.

5 Likes

Thanks! Is there any recommendations that you have? If not, is there a ‘target’ viscosity I should look for?

More anecdotally, I would suggest more for a “grease” than an “oil”. That thick tackiness from greases is what we’re looking for here. Greases designed for use in bearings might be of interest here, but most greases should be acceptable. I suspect the low viscosity “runniness” from the oils is why you are not finding success with the options you’ve already tried.

As for how to actually re-pack the bearing, there are some better resources from people smarter than I on YouTube and the rest of the internet on re-packing sealed bearings. Lots of tactics out there from “brute-force” while spinning by hand to compressed air &/or vacuum assist.

4 Likes

They are getting harder to turn because they are picking up dust and dirt and it’s being mixed with the grease that’s inside the bearings. I would strongly suggest flushing the grease and the contaminants out of the bearings and running them dry. Those bearings are designed for 100,000 hours of use, running dry will be perfectly acceptable and produce the lowest possible friction . And finally, running dry will not tend to Causestuff to stick inside the bearing because there’s no grease or oil in there for them to stick to.

Sorry for any grammatical problems, used voice recognition to do this post

4 Likes