Laptop recommendations

Hey guys! My coach has just entrusted me in looking for new laptops to program with and I thought I’d ask the forums for some recommendations to broaden my options.

Here are some of the requirements I’m looking for. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you want to be able to cad on them? What price range are you looking at?

3 Likes

I discussed something similar a couple days ago if you would like to use it for some assistance with finding a good laptop:

But since you are considering using Python, which is a relatively CPU-hogging language, I would recommend something like a mid range laptop that has a graphics card to offload graphical processing to free up the CPU. Most mid range laptops with a graphics card will likely get 4-5 hours you need that is within the lifetime scope of your requirements and you will get a laptop which is very snappy for what you need. Although, I will garuntee you that it is UNBEARABLY hard to find any laptop that won’t break after 1-2 drops from a table.

Edit//: As a Python geek, you should consider Pycharm community edition as an option for Python IDE’s :eyes:. My college uses Pycharm and I have never seen anyone rate Pycharm lower than #1 for best IDE for Python (it comes with a lot of capabilities, functions, bells, and whistles, but you must have the processing capability to run the IDE because it is HEAVY)

4 Likes

I have a ROG G14. It has AMD Ryzen 7 (but it was from last year, this year there are Ryzen 9 version), it has 1TB, it can run both of the VEX coding programs I downloaded from the official website smoothly, even with multiple files running at the same time, It has two USB plug, 1 Type-C, and a mini HDMI. It also can run Auto CAD and all of the Adobe Programmes. The RAM is also very nice. If you have the budget I think it would be nice. The only problem is that the screen kind of gets crammed when you try to edit videos, but I guess it isn’t one of your top needs (unless you need to edit promotion videos often). The battery life is also very nice. I made the setting charging 60% rather than 100% to save battery, and it can run 4 hours without charging, so if you use it ay 100% or 80%, it should definitely fit your needs. I think Asus is a better option than Acer. If you do not care about weight, do not buy Zenbooks. Since it would have worse performance compare to the ROG series that has similar hardware, because light laptops are designed to be light, not efficient.

2 Likes

$2000 at max would be good

Thanks for the advice man. I personally use VS Code for Python tho LMAO

1 Like

Damn, swimming in money with $2K to spend on a single laptop. Might as well get an inexpensive laptop for $300 to beat up and take to competitions then custom build a desktop PC for $1700 for a powerhouse CAD station so the total $2000 would be an investment that is modular, forgivable, and highly upgradable over time. (If you drop a $1700 desktop from a table, something must be reallly wrong. If you drop a $300 laptop, ez replace)

8 Likes

Amazon.com: ASUS ZenBook Duo UX481 14” FHD NanoEdge Bezel Touch, Intel Core i7-10510U, 8GB RAM, 512GB PCIe SSD, Innovative ScreenPad Plus, Windows 10 Home, UX481FA-DB71T, Celestial Blue: Computers & Accessories

This is the Asus Zenbook Duo
It’s extremely useful for multitasking
it does not fit some of the criteria’s but is extremely useful when programming.

1 Like

You put your desktops on tables??
(This is a meme reference sorry for cringe)

2 Likes