LDraw parts for VEX IQ

A new small update, this time including gear rack and slider, turntables and magnetic beams. Also cables and rubber bands for bill of materials.

Any suggestions on how to learn about lsynth to create chains in a model?

Steve, this site below is really good for many LDraw topics. While I have not used LSynth and prefer to struggle in my own ways…Philo has recommended SR3D Builder for easier chain placements. SR3D Builder did not run on my CAD PC so I had to remove it and will try another PC soon. If you do use SR3D…it may be beneficial to rename your current LDraw parts folders before installation. Here is the link for LSynth etc. info http://www.holly-wood.it/index-en.html

Indeed, the new advanced copy of SR3Dbuilder makes it easy to wrap chains arund sprockets. As for LSynth the best tutorial I know is here: http://jc-tchang.philohome.com/manuel/Lsynth3.htm but… it’s in French. Otherwise, if that can help, I prepared wrapped chains around sprockets using SR3Dbuilder, you can get them here: http://philohome.com/vexldraw/chains.ldr and http://philohome.com/vexldraw/treads.ldr

Philo, I sent those files to Steve last night. I wasn’t sure if you were ready to send them release them to the world. I had several problem with installing SR3D yesterday. I don’t understand why it reinstalls the LDraw part folders…even the unofficial library. Arter install it complained about my graphics card. So, on to try my next PC…then my next…then just reliable MLCad.

I wasn’t sure if you were ready to send them release them to the world

Don’t worry about that kind of thing with me - except if I expressly state it :wink:
SR3D used to be very picky with graphic card, but many efforts were done by Sergio, and I think that few reasonably modern PCs (say - less than 5 years old) should support it. What hardware do you have - and what was the message exactly? Maybe you need to update your graphic card drivers? For sure, MLCad has the point about reliability :wink:

I don’t understand why it reinstalls the LDraw part folders…

The basic idea is to have a program that work out of the box, without any hassle about library. And I can’t help but find that Sergio is right reinstalling the complete library - so many people have inconsistent libraries missing one or more updates… And unofficial parts are clearly flagged (different color on part thumbnail background) so you know what you do when you use them. Down side, SR3D installation takes ages…

Thanks. I was able to copy/paste the treads, and I think it came out good enough…

Thanks. I was able to copy/paste the treads, and I think it came out pretty good.

Here’s how it looks…

Thanks
Steve

It does look good! Take care about slack: I made a similar assembly for my color sorter (though shorter, only one 2x20 beam). Geometrically it needed 88 links, but when I disassembled and counted the physical thing, there were only 87 links because of play. Not uterly important except for BOMs…

Yes, I still need to count the links. ~124. +/-2

:slight_smile:

Wow, ya’ll make me feel three shades of unintelligent.

Timdreamer…catchup. Don’t let us seem that far ahead. Its easy to play with MLCad. Just give it a few minutes. Do you have LDraw and MLCad installed yet? Do you want a Quick Install Guide document?

Chris, it would be very nice to have a quick install guide. I would have to do this at home, as I really don’t have access to a computer at work to down load programs. A lot of time I am busy doing other things at home when I get off of work. I run Windows 8.1 at work and mostly use the Firefox browser. I don’t have any programs such as RobotC, LDraw or MLCad yet.

Timdreamer…I realized I need to update my Quick Install Guide to be more about VEX IQ. Give me a day and I will send you a copy. I may need you to be a tester since some things have changed and I already have everything installed on my system. Could I ask you to email me at: the.littlehorn@gmail.com

Ok, Chris. I have sent you an email. I am glad to help in any small way that I can.

Thanks to Philo…I was able to complete my VEXporter with MLCad. The instructions are coming soon. Try to imagine the VEX Storage Bin on top. Click the pic.

Thanks to Philo…I was able to complete my VEXporter with MLCad. Try to imagine the VEX Storage Bin on top. Still working on the building instructions. Click the pic.

Thanks to Philo…I was able to complete my VEXporter with MLCad. Try to imagine the VEX Storage Bin on top. Still working on the building instructions. Click the pic.

http://thehighproglow.blogspot.com/2014/05/vexporter-cad-model-complete.html