LDraw parts for VEX IQ

Thanks to Philo…I was able to complete my VEXporter model with MLCad. Try to imagine the VEX Storage Bin on top. Still working on the building instructions.
http://www.vexiqforum.com/filedata/fetch?filedataid=305&type=full

SR 3D Builder Question suppose I put 3 interlocking gears on beam, each with it’s own axle like the attached.

How do I ensure all three gears turn when I rotate one in animation? Sometimes I get all three rotating, sometimes only two …

Also, If I add a beam to the blue gear - how do I get it to rotate with the gears - when I do it, the beam seems to rotate interdependently. How do I lock it to the gears?

I’m missing something here …

Rick

p.s. When in animation mode, I hit ESC to exit, but seem to have difficulty getting back to edit mode - I can’t select any parts - I CAN add a part, but can’t do anything with it.

After I fuss around a bit I seem to have the ability to select parts again, but am not sure what I am doing to get there …

Is there a trick?

p.p.s. How do I get an entire group of parts to “stick” together so I can rotate them as an assembly in animation mode. And how do I choose the rotation point?

Special Thanks to Philo for creating these VEX IQ Parts!!!

Hi Rick,

How do I ensure all three gears turn when I rotate one in animation? Sometimes I get all three rotating, sometimes only two …

Are you sure to use the right tool (animation tool = 6) and not the hinge tool (5)? - I guess you do, otherwise only one gear would move.

I don’t see what could be wrong in animations using regular VEX gears (note that gear rack and wormscrew DON’T work yet - hopefully they will do at the next SR3Dbuilder update). If you can’t find the issue, send me your SR3D l3b files, I’ll have a closer look.
Note also that SR3D animation, albeit very nice (and sometimes useful to move things during building) is not bug-free…
BTW, have you had a look at those tutorial videos?

When in animation mode, I hit ESC to exit, but seem to have difficulty getting back to edit mode

Hitting ESC doesn’t quit animation mode, it just stop current animation allowing you to choose another part to animate. To go back to selection mode you have to click on one of the selection tools (1…4 above). 1 is single brick selection, 2 select a block of parts rigidly connected, 3 selects all connected bricks (4 are special selections eg. all parts of the same color).

How do I get an entire group of parts to “stick” together so I can rotate them as an assembly in animation mode.

Just as in real life, they have to be connected rigidly, eg. by two pins, or a pin and axle, or a square hole on an axle.

And how do I choose the rotation point?

Clicking on the axle you want to act is the best solution. Sometimes it is not enough, and SR3D shows several rotation possibilities (one active red, several green ones). The key shortcut to change possibility is supposed to be / key near Enter key (see manual) but actually it depends on keyboard layout - for my French keyboard it’s the * key.

Thanks Philo, I’ll put together some examples of what I was seeing and send them your way. I am seeing some funky stuff.

Hi Guys,

We are working on a project for the Scouts to show them how to build virtual robots for their Robotics Merit Badge. Here is a draft version of an intro video to help them get started. It intentionally glosses over the details and shows just enough to encourage them to go learn more. The companion website mentioned in the video will have links to all of these tools you guys are supporting - Thanks!

Link to draft video - comments appreciated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GUF-sRHJxg

Very good! It’s even easy to understand for my poor French ears :wink: The colors chosen seem a bit odd at first, but then it’s part of virtual power…

Thanks Philo, I’ll put together some examples of what I was seeing and send them your way. I am seeing some funky stuff.

Everything that can help debug parts/connectivity/program is more than welcome!

Hello!
I recompiled LPub, adding support for VEX parts annotation in PLIs.
You can download the latest update for LPub from the SourceForge page
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lpub4/files/?source=navbar
I could compile only for Windows, MAC users please recompile it from source. I can share details on the precise building tools versions to use.

Enjoy!
Danny

New update! Now contains big wheel and tire, omni-wheel, beam 2x2 with twist lock and radio modules.
As usual, the preview of all available parts is here.

As far as I can tell, all parts in VEX IQ system are now available in LDraw, with one exception, the remote controller. I’m working on it, but this big, detailed part puts a lot of stress on my tools…

Hi Philo,
I downloaded the .dat parts you created into the LDraw/p folder. It seems it doesn’t register at MLCad. I did create Parts Tree Configuration; Vex, <Vex. What shall i do to enable to read all the Vex parts (.dat) files to MLCad? Thanks

Gb123… in MLCad, have you clicked ‘Scan for New Parts’ yet? That is in MLCad’s File menu. Clicking it will check for new parts added to your library…it will take a few minutes and then ask if you want to create a new Partslist file…click yes. The VEX parts should then appear in your parts tree.

Hi Gb123,
In addition to Chris suggestion… Parts must go in LDraw/parts folder, not LDraw/p (this folder is reserved for LDraw primitives, such as cylinder, boxes, spheres, etc. MLCad doesn’t look for parts in this folder.

Great work Mr. Phllo, i’m using parts with BrickSmith on my Mac , it works fine and almost all parts are avalable , when i finish my first model ill share it here :slight_smile:

Glad you like them, Hasiman! When you say “almost all parts are avalable”, what parts do you think are missing? (except for controller, still working on this tough one)

The controller is now available! Far from perfect, big files with many triangles, but it’s there

228-2530.png

Thank You Philo!

Yay! Lots of work, more thanks!!

LDraw models of the new plastic axles included in VEX IQ Summer 2014 Refresh are now available!
As usual, get them here.

Remains to do: the idler pins and the short 1x beams with middle hole.

I just saw there is a new form factor for the 1x4 and 1x6 beams (extra hole) I’ll have to get a couple of each to see what can be done with them…

VEX IQ Summer 2014 Refresh parts are now all modeled for LDraw system.
Go here to get them all!

I have uploaded two videos explaining how to use the VEX IQ parts with Bricksmith, for Mac.