LED Lights

What is the rule on LED lights.

I think that it is allowed I’ve seen several teams use lights around their robots

Sort of unrelated, but are there any practical uses of the LED lights?

No just for decoration

Please review the VRC Turning Point game manual. The following rules apply to your question:

<R5> Robots may be built ONLY using official VEX EDR components, unless otherwise specifically noted within these rules.
<R8> Teams may add non-functional decorations, provided that they do not affect the robot performance in any significant way or affect the outcome of the match. These decorations must be in the spirit of the competition. Inspectors will have final say in what is considered “non-functional”.
    g. Decorations that visually mimic field elements or could otherwise interfere with an opponent’s Vision Sensor are considered functional and are not permitted. This includes lights, such as the VEX Flashlight. The Head Inspector and Head Referee will make the final decision on whether a given decoration or mechanism violates this rule.
<R14> The only allowable source(s) of electrical power are as follows:
    <snip>

In other words, you may use LED lights, provided they are powered by your robot’s Cortex microcontroller/V5 Robot Brain and provided that they would not be reasonably likely to interfere with an opponent’s vision sensor. If you wish to use LED lights for a functional purpose, you must use VEX LED indicators rather than a third-party solution.

1 Like

Yes. Just to name a few, LED indicators can be used for:

• Debugging code
  • An autonomous mode indicator
  • A status indicator for the driver(s)
    • For example, to indicate if your flywheel has reached a certain speed

As mentioned in my previous post, remember that only VEX-official LED indicators can be used for functional purposes.

1 Like

Do you know if this holds true if there is also another component giving the driver the same information? I’d assume it does, but it’s worth asking.

Let’s go with your example of having LEDs flash once the flywheel is done spinning up. One could easily have the V5 remote vibrate once the flywheel spins up and they would get the information just as easily as they would with LEDs. If a team wanted to also use LEDs to make the robot more interesting for the audience but made sure the function they are serving is already sufficiently served in some other way, would that be allowed? I’m thinking along the lines of the example in the rules that says large stickers and things have to be supported by a vex legal material behind it that serves the same purpose. Again, I’d assume this is not the case, but it would be nice to be able to make the audience feel a bit more involved.

Ask on the Official Q&A.

You can legally use VEX-official parts as decorations, if that’s what you’re asking. VEX-official parts don’t have to serve a functional purpose, but a functional purpose may only be served by VEX-official parts.

It is entirely your decision how to use your LEDs. The rule about stickers is only there to ensure teams’ non-functional decorations, not made from VEX-official robot parts, can be reasonably considered non-functional.

I’m not sure where you got that from my question, but thanks for the response anyway. What I was asking (and I think I will put this on the official Q&A) is whether a decoration can be functional if its function is already fulfilled using vex parts (within reason). More specifically, I was asking if you can have LEDs give feedback on what the robot is doing if the feedback is already given to the driver in a different way that is just as obvious if not more so than the LEDs. The example I gave was pulsing LEDs when a flywheel spins up for the audience, but also vibrating the remote so the driver already has any and all of the information the LEDs would provide easily accessible to them.

Note the specification of easily accessible. Having decorative LEDs pulse but also using vex LED indicators would not fulfill this requirement because the indicators are subtle and not easy to see. The driver would clearly be getting their information solely from the decorative LEDs, so the function is not really carried out in a VEX legal manner. This distinction of easy accessibility, much like with other touchy restrictions on decorations, would be up to the desecration of inspectors.

I see your question now. Yes, ask away on the official Q&A.