Lexan thickness rule

Hi so my team was at a small competition and we had two pieces of lexan sold by vex (the wall pieces) which is 1/8th of an inch thick and we are told that we have to have 1/16th of an inch thick lexan which is not sold by vex. Can somebody explain to me the importance of this rule and why it exists?

The rule is more or less made so teams don’t have lexan so thick it can be replaced by metal, and also for teams with wealth and equipment to not have as big of an advantage against not as wealthy teams.

12 Likes

Emphasis mine.

7 Likes

Sold by VEX here https://www.vexrobotics.com/polycarbonate.html

It’s one of the few things that RobotMesh doesn’t carry, but you can get it from robosource or their store on Amazon if you need it Friday,

1 Like

The other responses are all correct, just wanted to add something.

“Sold by VEX” is not the same as “competition-legal part”. VEXpro and VEX IQ parts are sold by VEX. Field elements (and perimeter pieces, as you pointed out) are sold by VEX. Game elements and trophies are sold by VEX. None of these are legal for use on a VRC robot. It’s very important to pay close attention to the rules and make sure that your robot is legal.

You can also check over your robot using the official inspection checklist to make sure you’ll pass all the checks they do at competition.

15 Likes

An experienced coach just informed me that the ramp material from last year is legal to use!

8 Likes

Before someone says something about reviving old topics, this is a totally legitimate comment and adds information (albeit already known information) to the thread.

That being said, how this hasn’t locked automatically after 3 years is beyond me.

17 Likes

To be honest, I don’t really understand the “don’t revive old thread” mindset of the forum.

One of the biggest advantage of the forum (compared to some discord chat) is that information and message history are all organized in threads. This means that it is a lot easier to search for information as all the relevant info will stay in one thread, rather than hundreds of messages spanning across 2 years.

However, making users have to create a new thread about the same topic every few months renders the above benefit useless. Information is now scattered once again and people can’t add to preexisting indormation.

30 Likes

You can’t revive an old thread, because someone will complain about it and get the thread locked.

You can’t create a new thread, because someone will complain about it being a duplicate and get the thread locked.

If you don’t participate in a discussion when it was happening, the first time it was happening, I’m afraid you’re not permitted to comment at all.

29 Likes

I think there needs to be a new section to the forums to fix this issue. This potential new section could cover specific questions that have only now been asked about past topics. These questions will always exist due to rule changes and new ideas, but asking them can lead to new and old users alike feeling shot down. Ironically, without the inclusion of this statement, it’s likely that someone would complain that this is an issue independent of this topic, and thus should be discussed elsewhere.

2 Likes

The problem with old thread revival isn’t people adding to the thread with added info. It’s posts like “bro, me too”. If there was a better follow up or an appearance that the poster made an attempt to search then I’d be for keeping threads open. On the other hand I’m good with the OP saying, "thanks for the help, @someRoboteer has my solution, it worked, @Sidoti_clone can this be closed.

The forum is what we ALL make of it, but small factions do have a larger adverse push.

2 Likes

That coach was right! The polycarbonate sheets on the Tipping Point Platforms are legal to be reused on your competition robot! There are a few other field elements that can be used on the robot as well. The backboards from Change Up are the first to come to mind.

3 Likes

That being said, this topic devolved from what could have potentially been a useful revived thread to complaining about rules around threads being revived not making sense.

Why does this blanket no-necro thread rule exist? Let me point you to this thread, that was revived, and immediately got off topic and is now not adding any substance. Hence me locking it.

Blanket rules exist for a reason. Because edge case scenarios are hard to write rule for. I’m sure you are all very familiar with that by now.

7 Likes