License Plate Orientation

We currently have a passive cap stacker on our robot, and I was looking for a place to mount my license plates. I was wondering it it would be legal if my license plates were on opposing sides, on my cap stacker, even though when I stack caps, the plates would go upside down for a brief moment. Is this legal?

0 Likes

I’m not sure the rules say anything about this, but I’d guess nobody would throw a fit about it. You’d need to possibly ask in the official Q&A for an answer

0 Likes

I saw plates mounted to a DR4B in such a way that when down, a plate was oriented correctly, and the other upside down. When raised, vice versa. I would assume you would be fine with the mount you’re planning to do. Otherwise, you could probably stick them on the side of your chassis or extend a plate to mount it that way

0 Likes

It doesn’t sound like you will, but make sure the plates don’t impact the functionality of the flipper. They count as non-functional decorations (<R20>), and cannot be used for any functional purposes.

If it does meaningfully interact with caps, make sure the plate is backed by legal material (such as an aluminum plate or lexan)- otherwise it is considered a violation of <R8>.

1 Like

I would be cautious about it, as my team failed inspection because one of our plates was on our cap descorer which changes orientation. Just be cautious.

1 Like

we had our plates turn upside down when we score caps at states and refs don’t seem to care.

0 Likes

Yeah, it won’t. It’s going to be attached somewhere in the middle of the C-channel so it doesn’t affect the stacker’s performance.

0 Likes

How reoriented was your license plate during competition? Like how much did it rotate?

0 Likes

180 degrees, but it was rarely used. We relocated it onto the robot’s base.

0 Likes

Okay, I found a spot for them on the base, thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like

Just make sure they can’t come loose and fall off your robot when it changes orientation. Teams in my state have been DQ’d because of plates falling off.

1 Like