Limit Switch Replacement Metal

We have a number of limit switches where the metal bars have snapped in 2 or are missing (the limit switches themselves are fine; it’s just the metal bars that get pressed). Is there any way to replace these? It seems like a bit of a waste to have to buy more limit switches just to replace a small part of the whole assembly.

If I were you, I wouldn’t replace them. Limit switches that are broken actually have a pretty great function - as mini toggles and buttons. It makes them low profile, and allows you to make custom depression buttons/ switches.

Maybe it is a good idea to consider what uses parts mag have outside of their original intent- as far as modification is allowed in the manual.

One thing I had my team do while I was in high school was to brainstorm and write down all possible uses and intents for every sensor we had. It allowed us to decide what functions we needed the most, and code accordingly.

I also like to use broken limit switches instead of bumper-switches, in places where there is not space.

And they’re cheap enough to the point where you’d be better off just buying more.

I asked about using broken/modified lever switches this way some time ago and was officially informed that it was not legal:
https://vexforum.com/t/answered-modification-of-limit-switch-under-r15/29754/1

Consequently, I regard lever switches as “junk” because they break so often, and I discourage kids from ever using them. In my opinion, they are way too fragile to be used for any serious design. Also, the broken metal piece is often sharp and, with kids running around the fields in their socks, the broken, sharp edges of the metal levers are too much of a safety hazard. But that’s just my opinion.

As what I can tell, You asked him if removing the whole lever is legal, not having a cut lever is legal. Karthik said “Removing the lever arm is not a repair.” He didn’t answer the question of if having a cut lever in half is legal, but he answered your question of having the whole lever removed…

And, He also said that “The intent of this rule is to allow teams to repair damaged components.” So this indirectly states that **it is ** legal to repair damaged components.

You could also sand the metal down to be less sharp, or you can bend the metal to at least make it close to back to its normal condition. Here’s an image of the limit switch, look at the bent metal near the tip, just do that to a cut lever/arm and it should be not as sharp:
limit.jpg

I see what you’re getting at, but because I had even quoted Rick Tyler’s unofficial comment about modifying the levers, I think Karthik is sticking to the rule <R15> which states:

<R15> Parts may NOT be modified as follows:
a. Motors (including the internal PTC), extension cords, sensors, controllers, battery packs, reservoirs, solenoids, pistons and any other electrical component or pneumatics component of the VEX Robotics Design System may NOT be altered from their original state in ANY way.
i. Internal or external mechanical repairs of VEX Limit and Bumper switches are permitted; using components from these devices in other applications is prohibited

It would be great if “repair” would include cutting the lever but maybe somebody should post the question in the official Q+A. I like the lever switch but I hate those metal levers.

They really were a bit vague on what ‘repair’ is, they should clarify what it means in the area with definitions… Yea, someone should post it… And I agree, they should’ve put more work into the lever portion rather than just getting a lever that is easy to break…