Loctite!

Just want to make sure I’m using the right item before accidentally super glueing my robot together
Thanks!
20190827_070700

8 Likes

No, that is super glue!!! You need to use specific threadlocker.

10 Likes

yeah thats would be not good to put on your bot
yesss that is the correct product, make sure you apply plenty to all screws and nuts…

23 Likes

That would be absolutely tragic to apply that on screws.

3 Likes
12 Likes

Hey dont laugh at my suffering >:(
Lol

4 Likes

lol that’s actually hilarious though. You will be forever recognized as the lad who was about to superglue their robot together.

7 Likes

<Start light humor>
code of conduct / sportsmanship Careful about repeating a joke over and over, the humor impaired might not get it and consider it bullying of another team! You don’t want to be the first team to get a Code of Conduct referral for behavior on the forum…
<End light humor>

Seriously do be careful about suggesting suggesting wrong use of material, even in jest.

4 Likes

Thread lock fluids cure anaerobically. That means they harden in the absence of oxygen. So, when you buy thread lock the bottles are always only slightly full otherwise it would cure in the bottle. When you trap in in a thread between the screw and a standoff for example, the absence of air in the gap causes it to cure and retain the screw.
There are loads of different strengths. For VEX applications, you only need the lowest strength stuff otherwise you’ll never get it undone again.

Superglue is not anaerobic and would also be really hard to ever get undone once it did harden.

3 Likes

Worst comes to worst you can always dissolve with acetone.

puts robot in acetone
Whys my plastic so mushy looking

9 Likes

If I am not mistaken, I think that the blue Locktite thread lock is the weakest one. But it still holds really well.

This is used in the car industry but is applicable to vex. You can also take a sharpie to mark a line across the screw and metal. This way if the screw comes loose, the marks aren’t aligned and it’s easy to tell when things need to be tightened.

5 Likes

Purple is weakest: https://henkeladhesivesna.com/henkeldocs/LT-6540_AN_RemovableReliable_SS_v11_Final_Links.pdf

6 Likes

Thank you. This thread made my day. I hope DRow doesn’t lock it soon.

16 Likes

wait, so which one is it?
what does everyone else use? I dont’ want to ya know… get super high strength…

@Taran I see what you did there :laughing:

3 Likes

This is what we use:

can confirm: it locks threads

Even though purple is the weakest, my team always uses the blue. The chart was really helpful.

My team used this stuff:

In order to disassemble our robot, we just asked the pizza place next door if we could borrow their oven to heat the loctite off.

All joking aside: DO NOT DO THIS. ROBOTS AND OVENS (ESPECIALLY OVENS USED FOR MAKING FOOD) DO NOT MIX.

9 Likes