Looking for Where I can buy Foam Sheets

For a semi-VEX-related project, I’m going to need to cover an area approx. 6’ by 4’ with the same kind of foam that are used for field tiles, but for reasons using tiles then cutting them down to size isn’t going to be ideal. It would be much better if it could be a solid sheet that I could trim down, rather than tiles. I can’t have gaps in the surface. Does anyone know where I might be able to acquire such a thing?

3 Likes

more details - thickness and what foam you refer to? (if you want softtile thickness but without interlock …)

I think if you know thickness and composition of material should be a good search, e.g. 3/4" stainless steel 4’x4’ – did this check for wood, glass, … and results were appropriate.

1 Like

0.5" thick, and the same material as the field tiles.

1 Like

ugh - did 4’ x 4’ while composing message - sorry if 6’x4’ not available … ugh late night.

1 Like

but no texture on either side and not interlock cuts?

No interlocking, and at least the top needs to be smooth. The bottom will be getting glued down or pinned in place.

I know you searched the “obvious” as did I :frowning: My pro tip is to call SoftTiles and ask for their help to find suppliers … Make sure to tell your experience of their products for robotics - and the say you are working on specific product for a project …

You have street creds in their product space and they are more likely to help find specialized product.

In general, you want to search for EVA foam rolls or ESD EVA foam rolls, if you need to match the latest VEX Anti-static tiles, which list their material type as “Anti-Static EVA Foam (35-40)”.

You can find self-adhesive rolls and they come in variable densities for various flooring applications. My guess is that 35-40 stands for the foam density, but you want someone with direct knowledge like @Sidoti to confirm that.

11 Likes

always appreciate the “hive” approach to problem solving, brings out the best in all!

Do I spy with my little eye a field water tightness requirement?

So disappointing…

5 Likes

No, you don’t. ​​​​​​​​​

1 Like

35-40 is the durometer. I believe that to be on the Shore A scale. So you were almost correct, but it turns out that it gets a bit more confusing the more you look into it.

@TaranMayer
I tried doing a bit of research, and it turns out that sourcing EVA foam by durometer is actually pretty difficult. So then I did a bit more research and it turns out converting from durometer to pressure to compress to foam density is pretty difficult.

If you want exactly the same stuff, then all I can do is wish you the best of luck. But if you are okay with pretty dang close, then this or this might be your best bet.

12 Likes