Lost!!!

Hi,
I just downloaded some autocad software, and AM COMPLETELY LOST. Please help!!!

First of all let me ask you what exact program did you install? Did you install Autodesk Inventor Professional? Or did you truly install Autodesk’s AutoCAD? Or did you install SolidWorks or Google SketchUp or something?

~Jordan

Pretty sure AutoDesks Autocad 2012

Alright well first of all I would really recommend downloading Autodesk Inventor Professional, as it is so much better in about every way. I could help you with that, but unfortunately I haven’t looked into AutoCAD enough to be able to help you. :frowning: Sorry! But if you’re still set on AutoCAD I would suggest looking up some tutorials online, or looking at some of the help documents Autodesk supplies. Also perhaps someone else on the Forum could help you out who knows about AutoCAD.

~Jordan

do you use autodesk inventor professional?

Yes, I do – it’s amazing! I highly recommend it.

~Jordan

Rob

Take a deep breath and give us a little more information about what you want to be able to do with your CAD software and what system you have to run it on. However, lets assume for now you have a newish PC running Windows XP or Windows 7 and that you want to be able to design and assemble a VEX robot.

Download Autocad Inventor 2012, check if you have a 32 or 64 bit OS before downloading (you probably have 32 bit), ignore the Autocad Inventor 2011 suite, the 2012 version is the one you want.

Read through this…

http://content.vexrobotics.com/docs/autodesk/vex_unit_02.pdf

it’s unit 2 from the VEX autocad curriculum.

Then go and get unit 3 from here

http://www.vexrobotics.com/276-1263.html

There are files to go with these units further down the linked page that you can use with the tutorials in these two units, it’s labeled “Autocad Inventor Dataset”. If your school bought a classroom kit I think that comes with the full Autodesk curriculum so you may be able to get the other units as well.

Use the Autodesk Invetor wiki and watch the tutorial videos, you can get to the wiki through the help system.

Download some of the other VEX parts from the CAD Wiki and play, it will take several hours to get comfortable with the basics of Inventor so don’t expect to be building complex robots the same day you install it. Inventor is a high end professional software application but if you invest the time to slowly learn one or two new things everyday you will soon have mastered it.

Have fun.

Rob – Once you get to downloading all the VEX CAD parts, I would highly suggest downloading my complete version of them that you can get with one simple download, including all the colors and weights and all that pretty stuff. Also it’s categorized nicely for you so it’s easy to find the parts you’re looking for. Here it is once you’re ready for it, you can find the link to downloading the parts on the first post in this thread: https://vexforum.com/t/team-24-super-sonic-sparks-vex-cad-library/19092/1

~Jordan

Thanks for all the advice! I’m going to download Inventor tonight!

Okay great. Just let us know if/when you have any questions on what to do from there. :slight_smile:

~Jordan

I’m downloading it now, If I do have a question… trust me, if I have a question I’ll make sure to ask it!