Magnets?

This would be a fabulous question for the q&a

2 Likes

There is definetly an argument for it, but it definitely goes against the spirit of the rule. By this logic, you could harvest the magnets from the screen cover, but then also use a commercially available magnet of similar size because of The functionally Identical rule.

4 Likes

Why would you even need a magnet? Aside from decoration, I had magnets on my license plates and magnets inside of a license plate holder to hold the plates in (which I hope is legal) but I was not flagged on it during multiple competitions. Technically it was non functional since all it did was hold a team number plate in.

Extreme low-friction Mag-lev linear slides

7 Likes

Oh that would be so OP

2 Likes

3 Likes

I was thinking of having an arm that little angle pieces would flip out and connect using the magnets. These angled pieces would help corral cubes

2 Likes

That was before V5 and the brain cover.

2 Likes

I would need more of a visual to understand what you’re saying but that can be done without magnets if it’s what I’m thinking.

PHOTO_20190619_000329

interesting idea… i have not considered using maglev before :slight_smile:

let’s see… steel is a ferromagnetic material… and we have wires… hint :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Hmmm… I’m really close to buying this argument and like the creativity. At an event, and in lieu of a specific rule or Q&A to the contrary I might even accept it. I certainly WANT to.

But since I’ve got time to do a bit of digging… R21 “No modifications to electronic components are allowed” comes into play. The question is whether the screen protector is an “electronic component”. When I go to the VEX site it appears that the only way to purchase the screen cover is as a part of the V5 brain. This makes it part of an electronic component… so you can’t modify it.

Find a part number for the screen protector as an independent, non-electronic, product and I think you’ve got a good argument that identical magnets would be covered under R5.D and allowable in great quantity. But without a seperate part number… the screen cover is an integral part of the brain and can’t be modified.

Doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate the though experiment behind this, though!

Jason

P.S. The screen protector could, however, be used elsewhere on the robot… I don’t know of any rule requiring electronic parts to be used for their intended purpose. Only that they can’t be modified… so no pulling the magnets out of the protector. (And no using a second protector, as you’re only allowed one V5 brain.)

7 Likes

This is our second year of VEX so there is probably a better way to do this but idk.

R22 c.
Metallurgical modifications that change fundamental material properties, such as heat treating,
are not permitted.
You could theoretically wrap wire around a piece of steel to create an electromagnet though.

Edit: added R22

If vex did happen to sell screen protectors separately wouldn’t that create a loophole for infinite plastic use?

2 Likes

Lol a different team at my school wrapped their wires around motors and create electromagnets that would make the entire motor stop functioning (off of the cortex system).

1 Like

the old cortex motors and the new v5 motors both have magnets in them just getting them out without damaging anything and i’m not sure if they would be legal to use

you would still have the 8 motor limit so I don’t think this is good idea

That would definitely be a violation of <R22a>

6 Likes

Hmm… the “no modifying electronics” rule gets in the way again, because the VEX wires are all multi-stranded cable that carries both the positive and ground connections. So you COULD wrap VEX cable around a steel core, but the magnetic field generated by the positive wire would be cancelled by the field generated by the negative current flowing in the opposite direction.

The same issue goes with pulling magnets from the motors… I was thinking that it would be possible to create aluminum wire by slicing a thin strip off a piece of aluminum metal and re-working it into a wire format. The catch is that there will be a great deal of cold-working and work hardening that will need to be relieved by annealing the aluminum… and we can’t do that, either.

There are ways to induce a weak magnetic force into steel, but they would all be unhelpfully weak.

I keep hoping that there is some clever way to make this possible… keep up the brain storming!

Jason

6 Likes