Making a Robot Faster

Is there a way to make your robot faster without adding extra motors on the drive train?

Maybe try reducing friction in the drive and reducing weight will help.

Is there any way I could do this through coding though?

Unless you don’t have the motors at full power no

1 Like

You have the thread makes as coding studio tech support, not sure that is right one because your question is kind of vague…
When programing you can tell the motors to spin at a certain speed.
When building you can add a higher gear ratio between the motor and the wheels. So big gear on motor and small gear on wheels. This will make your robot drive faster, but it wouldn’t have as much torque (pushing power).

5 Likes

Sorry, I had assumed that since you could decrease the power of the motors then you could also increase the motors’ power too via coding.

Depending on the cartridge the motor will have a certain max speed (and some amount of max torque). The 3 cartridge give you the option of a max speed of: 100, 200, 600rpm. The program can set it to any percentage of that.

One issue beginners sometimes have is set motor speed to 127 for example, when the units are rpm (200 is max by default), so make sure that that is correct.

Other than that you can either change the motor cartridge, or the gear ratio, or both.

6 Likes

I have heard that instead of sending rpm values to the motor to set the speed pf the motor, you can send power values which will let you achieve a greater speed than what would be allowed with an rpm input.

I have not verified this yet though, and I have no intention to.

Perhaps something in Thisthread will help you out
Edit: sorry, I didn’t notice before that it was an iq thread but hopefully it still helps.

2 Likes

This is somewhat correct. With a few of our motors last season, by setting direct voltage control, we were able to get velocities slightly higher than 200 rpm at certain times.

The V5 example drive code does not run the motors at 100%. Before doing any mechanical changes, try to multiply your drive code by 2 to see if there is any speed increase. If not, you have a couple options:

1. Make the bot lighter - replace any steel with aluminum, remove any unneeded metal/ components, cut any metal that is longer than you need.

2. Add a gear ratio to increase your bot’s speed

3. Change out the motor’s interal gear ratio. For the 393’s you could try the turbo gears. For V5 you can use the blue inserts.

4. Use lighter wheels - mecanums are much heavier than vex standard/ omni wheels

5. Use screw joints on any gears/wheels that are not connected directly to the motor - this will reduce friction

6. Add bearings where you use shafts.

7. Add teflon washers between your shaft collars/screws and metal/bearings

8. Reduce the size/height of your base - Use 3 or 2 high aluminum c-channels instead of 5 high c-channels. If the bot doesn’t need a 18 x 18 in base, build it smaller.

9. Make sure that all wheels are connected to a drive motor (even if you only use a 2 motor drive). This will help you go from a stop to full speed quicker.

10. I know that I’ve already said this, but you should double check and make sure that your drive code isn’t slowing the bot down. Try multiplying the value by 2. If it speeds up your bot, then you should adjust your driving code to not limit you bot’s speed.

11. The following suggestion is only a joke: Buy a vex speaker, plug it into your bot’s cortex/brain and play race car sounds. The robot will now move faster.

5 Likes

The example arcade control program that’s included VCS doesn’t, and some of the “drive forward” type examples have motor speed set at 50%, but they are just examples and easy to change.

Last year my team rebuilt our entire base (steel -> aluminum and 2 motor -> 4 motor) because it was too slow. We didn’t realize that the example program was to blame until after we finished rebuilding. The worst part is that the original base had custom cut steel for the lift that wrapped around the wheels/motors, sat at a perfect 90°, had no horizontal movement, and took hours just to screw in.

1 Like

Do you remember which example it was ? Was it the arcade drive ?

Yes, it was using the Arcade drive example.

There has been a /2 in the arcade drive for as long as I’ve used it. What I found interesting is that it is only there for the y-axis.

1 Like