Making cubes out of cardboard?

The cost of buying a set of cubes to train with is quite expensive. Are cardboard cubes good substitutes for the real cubes for training only?

1 Like

Well, you might want to have some real ones to check your intake and object manipulation - so if you plan on four cubes, buy them. The properties are important and different from cardboard.

If you are looking for dimensions for an intake, then cardboard should be fine, but the actual cubes are more slippery so you should get the real ones when testing for stacking.

4 Likes

before I got some cubes, I made one out of cardboard, and glued rocks on the inside to make it weighted properly. I put an equal amount of weight in the form of rocks on each inside face of the Cube. I glued it extra tight to make sure the Rocks didn’t fall off, and they didn’t. I used hot clue.

3 Likes

Yeah, we’re also going to buy a real cube to compare the differences. How slippery are the cubes?

they are quite slippery. much more than cardboard. If the price of cubes is an issue, I would just buy as many as you plan on being able to hold. or ask a nearby team if you could borrow some cubes. Cardboard would be fine for testing dimensions, but not for anything else really.

Ah, ok. I think I will buy about 8 cubes. Thanks

yea as long as you have enough cubes to test your robot to its fullest capacity then I think youll do just fine

thank you guys for the responses. It helps a lot :smile:

1 Like

If you want to create the indents and other features of a cube try using a slicing program and then laser cutting the layers of card. You can then put these in a stack and glue them together to make a solid cube.
It takes a bit of effort but the results are very good. This is our cardboard cube : https://mobile.twitter.com/Vex7975F/status/1124291880374632449/photo/1

Edit: just thought I would add some more details:

1/ we used slicer for Fusion360, a free add on program for Fusion360 (also free if you are a student.)
2/ we used double layered corrugated cardboard but this needed 3 passes with the laser to cut it, single layered corrugated card will cut easier but you will need more layers.
3/ cutting produced a lot of fine carbon dust on the edges of the cube, we sealed it in by covering the entire cube in a layer of slightly watered down PVA glue.
4/ putting glue between every sheet isn’t necessary, just a single coat around the outside was enough.

5 Likes

That is honestly,y really impressive. :clap:t3::clap:t3:

1 Like

I built my first cube from cardboard. I built my robot around that (badly made) example. When I finally got a cube, the differences weren’t as drastic as I was honestly expecting.

Though I never planned to use completely cardboard. It was just a placeholder until I could get what I needed.

1 Like

3D printing the cubes may not be cheaper. if you don’t have a printer, it would be more expensive. The cubes are very slippery, and they aren’t very expensive either. if you buy 36 together, they would only cost 10 bucks each at most. Unless you aren’t from North America.

1 Like