Mecanum Drive Coding on VEXCode Blocks

Currently I am experimenting with a mecanum drive/base and have finished building it. Although I am not sure how to code a mecanum base on VEXCode Blocks. Any help would be appreciated

1 Like

google is your friend. Searching box in the vexforum is your friend. There are a lot of threads and information there.

I’m sorry but I haven’t found anything for VEXCode Blocks. @langchen

If you look at the Wiki that is forming up, you can see some images and code relating to mecanum drives.

The general concept is that you will combine 3 joystick signals together to give a motor value to each of the 4 wheels. One signal for Y (forward/reverse), one signal for X (strafe) and one signal for W (turn).

If you open the example project for Arcade Left (or Right) you will see how the signals for Y and W are combined on one joystick to control a typical inline drive. You can start with that code, and add the lines needed to give a value to each of your 4 drive motors. To strafe, you will add (or subtract) the horizontal axis signal from the other joystick for each motor.

Typically it would look something like:

motorName = Y signal + X signal + W signal
frontLeft = axis3 + axis1 + axis4
backLeft = axis3 - axis1 + axis4
frontRight = axis3 - axis1 - axis4
backRight = axis3 + axis1 - axis4 

If you look at the diagrams in the wiki, the reason for adding or subtracting is there. (It’s possible I goofed them up, so check my work) :slight_smile:

edit: screen cap of one motor with 3 signals:
meca-blockly

7 Likes

you need to understand the concept/math behind the mecanum. Here is the good one.

http://www.robotc.net/blog/2011/11/22/vex-mecanum-drive-using-robotc/

DougMoyers also gave a good resource for you to start.

2 Likes

here ya go

2 Likes

MechanControl.v5blocks (9.9 KB)

1 Like

This code worked wonders for my robot! How would you suggest coding autonomous periods? Would it be more useful just to use a standard 4 motor drivetrain or is there a simple way to program the strafing functions and use a value that all motors (or some) would drive for?

Welcome to the forum. It would be a good way to get started to work with the standard drivetrain code. Once you get a sense for how it works, you could look to create your own code to strafe for a specified distance.

Just a heads up, reviving old threads is considered bad form. Probably hard to see here, since this thread got bumped nearly a year after a previous post. A fresh thread saying “I found some sources here that got me started coding mecanum driver control in blocks, anyone have tips on coding autonomous?” would be the preferred.

3 Likes

Hey this was soo awesome I wanted to ask one question how would I get it drive forward regularly?

what would you mean by that?