Mecanum Wheel Drive Train

Hi,

Having read the posts on the forum, my team have decided to build a mecum wheel drive chain. We have been struggling to work out how to do it though. We understand how mecum wheels work, and the movement types they allow.

However, we have been very confused about how to go about building one. We have struggled to find any images of a mecum wheel drive chain and if we have, they have looked very complicated.

Is there an easy way to build it? Any images or help would be much appreciated

Thank you Tall668

For a simple mecanum drive, you can simply attach one motor to each wheel, as shown here: http://m1085.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/zinkostar/4886a%20robot/IMG_0367.jpg.html

Mecanum drive is very simple. for the easiest drive train, directly drive each wheel. Pretend they are any other regular wheel and just directly drive them(Make sure that you mount them properly though. they have to go in a specific order to strafe correctly.) Also keep in mind that you need good weight distribution in order to strafe.

(Make sure that you mount them properly though. they have to go in a specific order to strafe correctly.)

I’m sorry I am not following you here, what do you mean they have to go in a specific order. DO you mean that certain wheels go in certain places, or am I confused?

Anyway, this sounds much simpler than it sounds. I was under the impression that if you attached the motors using direct drive, they would be unable to strafe.

I had got it into my head that it was going to involve dozens of gears and a lot of time to allow the wheels to strafe,

Thanks a lot for clearing that up
Tall668

Look at the picture he posted. What he was trying to say that when you mount the mecanums, the rollers should look like an “X” from the top, like in the picture

Look at the picture he posted. What he was trying to say that when you mount the mecanums, the rollers should look like an “X” from the top, like in the picture

Thank you for your help, I know understand what he meant.

Tall668

For the mecanums to strafe, they just need to be able to rotate in opposite directions. This means that you wont be able to gear or chain each side of the drive together, but a motor mounted on each wheel will work fine.

Sorry. I should have clarified that they must make an “X”. But I’m glad Owen cleared it up. :stuck_out_tongue: and it CAN be as simple as directly driving the wheels. BUT, If you have a heavy robot(Like i do), you have to chair/gear them for torque. I think what is confusing you is the fact that people are making shifters. they arent necessary but if you want to make one go for it.

There was a transmission idea going around that used plantary gears for the mecanum wheels, but it causes you to use 6 motors on your drive. Also, you don’t get a torque advantage with the 2 motors that control the transmission, you only get a gear change out of them. I also realized, when I was doing testing on them, you actually get less torque if you run the transmission motors in reverse, which would allow you to have a 3 gear transmission.

You might find this tutorial useful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7CujEW0wgc

Yes that video was very helpfull thanks.

The last couple of months have generated a lot of interest in Mecanum Wheels.

Here are some of the threads related to them, and some direct links to some of the more valuable portions.

Mecanum Wheels: Turning while Strafing?

Mecanum wheels vs holonomics?

6-Motor Mecanum drive - EasyC

Drivetrain, High or Low?

Mecanums: Let’s Settle This

Programming Mecanum Wheels

Mecanum drive or omni with strafing wheel

Direct Links

VEX Mecanum Faceoff

Mecanum Wheels Force Vector chart

Omnidirectional Drive Systems Kinematics and Control

This is my old drive train. pretend they are any regular wheels. you can make the chassis any way you want. and the programming is like holonomic