Minimum amount of power for tilter

What is the minimum power/gear ratio needed for a tilter on a tray with 9 cubes and 2 motors?

With two motors you could possibly use 1:3 ratio on 100 rpm or 1:7 at 200rpm.
Its dependent on your tilter geometry of course.
20190905_134929
Here’s a look at my implementation with one 100rpm motor. Notice how short the output bar is.

If I were you I would go for a 5m drive. Use the 5th motor as a straight line booster or H. 1:3 is excessive and too fast. You will tip over your stack going that fast.

4 Likes

This depends a lot on the weight and angles that you have on your actual mechanism.

To get a quick calculation, you can approximate the weight that you need to move and the amount of power that you’l get out of the end of a bar with the length that your 4-b is expected to have.

To get an optimized solution, you’ll probably need to do a lot of testing to figure out which angles on the 4-b or linkage would work the best, and which gearing you can go from there to maximize the speed / consistency / reliability of the tilter. To get a good starting point, try to create a geometry that you think is going to be effective and modify it from there. Play with gear ratios to see. If you want a quick setup for testing, you don’t need to actually mount it on a robot, you can just see how much weight it can push on like a lab bench ( stack textbooks or something), and then play with the geometry.

1:7 on 200rpm is a good place to start, although you can probably use elastics to help band the tilter up. How you decide to use the bands is entirely up to you, but we’ll be happy to help if you need.

2 Likes

Btw both motors are 100 rpm. I also read the thread on tilter geometry and how the first bar should be short and the one connected to the tilter should be log and be connected high on the tray.

I’m not sure how you ended up with 2 motors on the tilter - at that point with that many cubes it’ll be hard to even use all the speed / power of the motors without risking the stack. Just my two cents that 1 motor is enough, you can put that motor anywhere else and have an equally fun time dropping stacks 9 tall.

3 Likes

Haha I knew people would be curious about that. I’m gonna try and keep quiet about what I’m doing but if it works, I’ll probably do another post on it.

Even if it doesn’t work, would you be so kind as to enlighten us?

It’s probably heavy no leaks.