Model for robot

Does anyone here know how I could possibly build my team’s robot on a 3D program, like for example, Blender?
Blender is the thing I know how to use, but the only vex parts files I find do not have many parts, like wide C channels.
TLDR: I wanted to make a moving, 3D model of my Team’s robot in Blender, but how?
If possible, maybe upload a file of some kind?
Thanks, I tried using VEXCAD but I have no programs to open the files.

EDIT: I just wanted some .stl files for all the vex parts. I saw a necropost on this from several years ago, but the links were dead for a LOOOONG time.

I use blender. Assuming you are conpitent, all you need are basic .stl files. I have a library if you want.

What’s the difference between Blender and CAD in Inventor?

personally i use onshape.com which is unique because its all cloud based. AKA no downloads cad from any computer, feel free to pm me if you want more info on this

Oh, I was asking for the files, as I didn’t manage to find the files for ALL the parts, I know how to use blender and how to export .stl files.
Let me rephrase, “I need some .stl files for all of the vex parts”
By the way, might want to spellcheck.

Here’s a drive link. Files are uploading, so don’t expect everything there right away.

Happens to the best of us.

inventor is geared more towards engineering. Particularly with physics of real life parts, such as gear trains. The animation in it is… good enough, but the physics gets the job done. Blender is a whole new animal. It’s a game engine, rendering studio, video editor, and an insane amount of other things. It’s far more advanced in the general scope of things. (Especially if you want to write your own physics engine) And, you can do a lot more stuff with it in the end. But for those used to Inventor, stick with it for VEX; at least, that’s my opnion

Could you maybe post an animation of you putting together some parts in blender? After hearing about Blender it’s starting to seem really appealing to me because it doesn’t have all the system requirements that autodesk inventor has(and it’s free!!!) and i want to run it on a laptop but I’m not sure if I want to waste time setting it up or not. Thanks

Hmm… maybe not a video. don’t really have any screen recording software or the knowhow… or time :stuck_out_tongue:
I do warn you though: the learning curve is very high. Don’t get discouraged; it took me about 15 hours to learn everything I know now. But once you know, everything goes fast.

I could try, depends if I have time during the next two weeks, if so, will post! :slight_smile: (during a possible reveal)
An animation would be cool, but for blender, all you need are the right files and know the basics of objects in the program and such. Thanks guys! :slight_smile:

Also, Does anyone have .stl files for all the high strength gears?

Thy should be in the folder I posted here. The all-caps versions are the gears with no inserts. Above those (In alphabetical order) are the gears with circular and square inserts.

Ok, so I went ahead and downloaded Blender just to see if I like it or not and I’m using the Drive part files that have been provided above^. Now the thing I’m confused about is how do you join parts together? I know how to import them and all that but the only tutorials I have found have told me how to join parts relative to each other(i.e. you move one part and the other part move exactly the same), rather than joining two faces together or however you join them to actually build a robot. Thanks for providing the part list by the way and you were right, it is a pretty steep learning curve :stuck_out_tongue:
I still really like how it doesn’t have very any steep requirements though :slight_smile:

You don’t really need to “join” parts. Just import multiple parts and select the one you want to manipulate with right click. (Shift+right click to select multiple)

Also, middle mouse button is best. MClick+drag = amazing. Shift+MClick+drag = also amazing.