Motor care

I feel like this is a question that has been asked before but I couldn’t find the answer so here I am.

1. Does having a motor spinning at -127 power get damaged if it is connected to a high gear ratio flywheel that was going full power the opposite direction? My gut says yes but it would be nice to be sure…
  2. Same scenario as above, but the new motor power is 1 and the old motor power was 127 while the motor is connected to a high gear ratio flywheel, is the motor damaged? My friend says no but I don’t know…
  3. Same setup as above but the launcher starts at rest and the motor power is 127, giving the flywheel max acceleration. is the motor damaged?
    For all of these questions assume that the motor has enough torque to fuel the flywheel
    Thanks in advance!

Hello OverlyOptimisticProgramer,

We’re going to make a few assumptions about your setup when answering these questions. If the scenarios were misinterpreted, please post back and correct it!

1. In this scenario, you have 1 motor running at +127 connected to a flywheel with a high gear ratio. The flywheel is at max speed when the motor is commanded to go -127. The motor will probably be okay, but will draw high current when running at +127 and higher current after being commanded to -127 while the flywheel slows down, reverses direction, and gets back up to speed. Because of the high current draw, the internal PTC may trip and the motor will need to be commanded gently until the PTC returns to normal.

2. In this scenario, you have 1 motor running at +127 connected to a flywheel with a high gear ratio. The flywheel is at max speed when the motor is commanded to go +1 or another low positive value. The motor will be fine and the flywheel will coast to a lower speed.

3. In this scenario, you have 1 motor starting at 0 connected to a flywheel with a high gear ratio. The motor is suddenly commanded to go +127. The motor will draw high current until the flywheel is up to speed. The motor itself will be fine, but the PTC may trip. To reduce the risk of this, slowly increase speed to decrease sudden current draw.

Hope this answers your questions!