Our team is having a problem with one of the motors on our holonomic drive. The front right motor will lock up after some use and we don’t know why. When we take it apart we find that all the internal gears are shredded. So far we have rebuilt it 3 times and completely replaced the motor once. We are using an internal high speed gearing and small omni directional wheels. I took some photos of our drivetrain for reference.
All of our drivetrain motors are geared for high speed. I have checked all the gears (including motor encoders) numerous times. the problem is either in our weight distribution or the stability of our chassis.
You need to use bearing flats anytime a shaft goes through a hole in the metal structure (well, there are a few exceptions). In your case some of the weight of the robot is transferred to the motor rather than the chassis.