Motor Usage Suggestions

Hi, my team is wondering how all of you suggest we should use our motors. Originally we planned on a 4 motor mecanum drive, 2 motor intake and roller, 2 motor fly, and a pneumatic extension and endgame mech. We’ve spoken around with others in our organization, and they have suggested that the second intake motor is unneccesary. We also are using a cartless flywheel motor 606x style, so that also saves a motor. We are rather at a loss for what to do with the two unused motors, would a second motor on the intake or flywheel be beneficial?

1 Like

If i were you i would move away from the mecanum drive and opt for a 6motor tank drive with a speedier ratio. So 1m flywheel 1m i rake and 6m drive.

2 Likes

If you want to keep mecanum drive, recommend you could put another motor on your flywheel, as for the last motor, you could use that as an indexer maybe.

2 Likes

Or go 9364C style and use a 3m flywheel.

4 Likes

It is possible to make a 6 motor mecanum drive if you use 4" omniwheels (have to be the old ones, not the new anti-static ones) in the middle of your drivetrain and then 4" mecanum wheels on the outside. Then you would just stick with 1 motor flywheel and 1 motor intake/roller like you said. If you don’t want to do this, I would say 3 motor flywheel is not a bad idea. You can also split your intake and roller motor so that they have separate motors, which would make it so they take up 2 motors without allocating an unnecessary amount of power to the intake since you wouldn’t chain your roller to the intake. From that point you could go for a 2 motor flywheel if you did 1 motor intake and 1 motor roller spinner.

3 Likes