Motor wear question

My team uses a transmission driven winch to hang, but it’s performance has gone down for some reason, and we are trying to diagnose it. Is it possible that repeated stalling or other high load on a motor would make it stall more easily? This winch system has stalled many times, due to rope jamming and dead batteries, many times.

Do motors wear out from repeated stalling?

If so, how should I test for this?

Yes, motors “wear out.”

Get a new set, put them on, try the hang again. If that works, you found your problem. That’s what we did.

or it could be the gears inside the motor which would be cheaper to replace

It is a possibility. However, if the gears are the ones that are broken then it would make a very noticeable clicking sound that I’m pretty sure everyone would know means that the gears are broken.

I checked, and all the motors do spin when the power is turned on, but replacing all the motors means all 6 of our drivetrain motors, and our 2 lift motors. Is there an easy way to test our motors before we spend $120 on new motors?

Thanks!

Repeated stalling will make them stall easier.

Not sure about if it leads to general wear though.

These motors don’t have an especially high lifetime. You could create a bench test of using a pulley to lift a weight (but not too much weight). It’s a nice controlled test but you will have to pop off the motors to verify their strength against each other.

Log your results to find the best motors of the bunch.

Thanks!

Motors stalling more easily after repeated stalling sounds like the problem. Our transmission connects the 6 motor drivetrain to the winch. We also noticed that the drivetrain stalls more easily now.

Take the motors apart, and look at all the electronics on the board with the motor (resistor and capacitor). see if either looks discolored, melted, scorched etc. if this is true, you must replace (of ask karthik if you can fix these things with desoldering and replacing). if these all look fine, try probing around and testing with a multi-meter, and if you find anything abnormal compared to a new motor, replace it. If this does not reveal anything wrong, ask jpearman , he knows about everything electronic.

I would be very careful before probing random points with a multimeter without a wiring diagram or at least an idea what to check. You don’t want to short something or damage the electronics by checking the wrong points.

Certainly, do look for that first, and look to see what every point should be.