Motors Overheating Survey

If you care about this topic it would be great if you fill out this quick survey. It is only 4 questions long and is anonymous.

2 Likes

motors overheating were such a massive problem for my team last year. if you figure out good ways to stop this from happening so often let me know!!

Unfortunately no teams have ever found a solution to this very common problem.

https://www.vexforum.com/search?expanded=true&q=Motors%20overheating

8 Likes

So true, i guess we will have to live on and suffer /j

2 Likes

Keeping motors from overheating is nearly impossible, but you can make it easy to quickly switch motors between matches. My team removes the screws that attach the smart motor cap and zip ties and rubber bands on the actual motor. Then between matches we can hotswap them. Our pit crew could switch all the important ones in under 45 seconds.

3 Likes

It seems to me that this is caused, or at least further exasperated, by the fact that the motors have no form of heat sink. Plus, they’re trapped inside a tiny insulating plastic case. An aluminum heatsink would be nice, or maybe some vent holes for some actually airflow, though that might affect it’s waterproofness :wink:
Regardless, their cooling solution is not good enough for the amount of abuse they go through IMO.

2 Likes

CALL ME IGNORANT BUT QUICK OVER HEATING DRIVE TRAIN IS LITERALLY A SKILL ISSUE
The single best solution for over heating drive is not full throttling when you dont need to. You’re sticks are not a true or false statement stop treating them as such. Over heating motors are inevitable. Its going to happen, but when it happens after less than 10 minutes it becomes a skill issue not just a vex issue.

Note. Accidentally grabing a hot metal heat sink on a 18x18x18 jank bot after a practice session sounds easy and not pleasant for middle schoolers

4 Likes

that’s a good idea, thanks for the reply!! i may try that this year if i have ahold of enough motors and there’s enough space.

Ummm…

there are no motors left.

This is false.

The best way to not overheat is to build right, pick a good ratio for your bots weight, and minimize friction.

12 Likes

lmao figured. guess we’ll have to figure something else out

last year we had a big overheating problem but it was definitely a build problem because we were holding up to 4 goals at a time and we were not designed the best

Motors overheating is always the fault of the build and/or the program.

if the build quality of a mechanism is poor and friction-heavy, or if you are using too optimistic of a gear ratio, your motors will overheat. If you program motors to constantly be fighting against an impossible load, they will overheat.

The only real solution to motors overheating is to build better, and don’t tell your motors to do things they can’t.

23 Likes

Canned air works magic

3 Likes

Depends on how you use it, if you use it with the entire motor put together, it might cool the sensor and some of the motor, but it can still be hot or at least warm, which can then overheat it because the sensor thinks it’s cool, which ruins the motor.

1 Like

I know
For anyone wondering where the best spot to spray the canned air, it is the side opposite of the port, near the middle and slightly towards the back of the motor.

4 Likes

You should post the results of the poll

I am closing the poll Friday at 2 PM EST. I will post the results after that.

If you don’t want to buy canned air (the best option), try putting the robot on a face up floor fan on the ground. My team uses that, especially during practices. It cools off the drivetrain remarkably quickly.

3 Likes

We did something similar where we’d take one of those white square fans, set in on top of the mobile goals with broken posts so air could reach the fan, and set the robot on top of that. Another benefit of this is you can reuse old game elements.

2 Likes