Motors with integrated sensors

You had me at “quadrature encoder.”

a 25-50% increase in power is a lot… but i guess it could be done with a larger motor. and if it were a stepper motor it would eliminate the need for a shaft encoder. it would be bulkier, though

I am now able to independently control two stepper motors from a Vex Controller and plan to use them for my Vex SunBot application. One stepper motor is used for the solar panel Elevation Drive as shown in the gallery photo. The gears in the stepper motor gear box matched the Vex gears perfectly! It now tilts the solar panel +/- 90 degrees, which I need to track the Sun. The second stepper motor is used for the Azimuth Drive, which rotates the solar panel between 0 and 360 degrees.

https://vexforum.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=3571&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=25

In my mind, i think some of this stuff would take away from the fun of robotics. Being able to do so much stuff by just picking up a motor and bolting it to a frame isn’t a design challenge. Sure, i think more power would make stuff easier, but then again, cost versus gain, it isn’t worth it. Also, for competitions, I could give a very bid advantage / disadvantage.
But hey, since all this will probably never happen, dreaming can be fun, so I say include smaller clutches. :slight_smile:

In competition I can understand that its a design “challenge” to fit all the sensors and stuff on the robot but the motors could easily be banned from competition like pneumatics (i think they are still banned though I could be wrong).

Yeah, that’s a pretty good idea. No, the pneumatics aren’t banned, as they are a vex product. I love the pneumatics, sometimes, i have sat for a whole built session just playing with them, they are so fun, and they make a cool sound:)

haven’t we already heard that there will be motors that are twice the torque and same rpm? :eek::eek:

It seems strange to have a robotics program at a certain level where people graduate from the program without an understanding of what a stepper motor is, how it works, and what it’s used for.

Vex is in the unusual position of being very open, making it easy to integrate with outside world components, once you find out where to get/how to build the interfaces. On the other hand, all that external ability gets very confusing when put in a community where a number of people have a very understandable focus on building robots that fit within competition rules.

How to bridge the gap between beginning with Vex and expanding that robotics knowledge beyond competition limitations is something I’m not sure how to do.

These motors were on display at the VEX Robotics World Championships in Dallas.