Moving robot during Skills to the starting point

Is it legal to move the robot, to starting position, during driver skills even if it is not in a bind?
We noticed drivers picking up robots back to the starter square in the last competition.

No, are you sure you were not watching robot / programming skills

PSC1 - A Team may handle their Robot as many times as desired during a Programming Skills
Match.
a. Upon handling the Robot, it must be immediately brought back to any legal Starting Position.
i. Drivers may reset or adjust the Robot as desired from this position, including pressing
buttons on the Robot Brain or activating sensors.

Our roboteers have small segments of code that do a move and they go out and return it and have it do the next move. ie Push hubs into the scoring zone, take a yellow bonus hub and stack it, take the other bonus hub, high hang.

You sure can’t. We’ve had EPs make statements to that during the team meetings.

1 Like

Are you saying you have had EPs say that you cannot move the robot back to a starting position when running programming skills in VIQC? It is clearly in the rules that you can do that.

I believe @ChrisR246 was agreeing with Foster. He was referring to Driver Skills and Regular Matches, where you cannot strategically reset the robot back to the starting position.

Only in Programming skills, can you strategically reset the robot back to the starting position.

I apologize for the confusion. GBR is correct, I was confirming Foster’s comment… drivers can NOT move their robot back to start during drivers skills or teamwork matches unless they are clearly stuck.

You can only move the bot during skills autonomous (from what I have read). Any other time the bot is moved can only happen if it is stuck or flipped over after a Ref gives you the go ahead. Anytime the bot is repositioned, it must begin in one of the two starting positions.

@Sean8349 I don’t see any such restriction. From <PSC1>:

A Teammay handle their Robot as many times as desired during a Programming Skills Match.

a. Upon handling the Robot, it must be immediately brought back to any legal Starting Position.

i.Drivers may reset or adjust the Robot as desired from this position, including pressing buttons on the Robot Brain or activating sensors.

b. If the Robot is possessing any Hubs when the Robot is being handled, these Hubs will be removed from the Field and can no longer be used.c.If there are any Hubsin theStarting Position where the Robot is being placed, these may be moved out of theStarting Position, provided that they are not moved into a Scoredposition and are not moved as part of a strategy to gain an advantage.

Did you see it in Q&A?

1 Like

I guess it doesn’t have to run the code fully, as per “A Teammay handle their Robot as many times as desired during a Programming Skills Match.”. however my second part is pertaining to actual competition play or skills driver. We had to wait until a ref told us the bot could be repositioned.

We stop between routines. I think snatching a moving robot would get some strange looks. If you are doing a complex series of moves, tell the ref whats going to happen so they are clued into when you are going to move the robot.

Remember, Elementary students do this, so the process is pretty simple.

1 Like