Mplab HEX file

I made my first program with mplab but I can’t locate the HEX file with the IFI loader, I searched everywhere, even from most recent, all I find are all the other files but not the HEX file. Is there some kind of command that makes a HEX file? Or is something disabled? Please answer!

I found a way on how to export the hex file, but the IFI loader says:
Invalid Address : 0x0 (Correct Range : 0x800-0x7fff)
When I click export, a new window apears, under program memory, it says
Start: 0, End: 0x7ffe
What do I do? Please reply and thanx in advance!

I already solved everything by myself, I needed to export a Hex file. Then I had a problem with the IFI Loader, Invalid Address 0x0(Correct Range 0x800-0x7fff). All I did is forget about that Ifi loader and use easyC’s Ifi loader. Though in the terminal window all I see is a bunch of symbols. Besides that the robot works, if someone could please tell me what was wrong with the other Ifi loader or about the problem with the terminal window then I would be gratefull, I really need the PrintToScreen command. Thank you and I hope this was useful.

There are a few things you can look at. First up, did you config MPLABS for the right VEX processor 18F8520.

There should be a linker file that you are using, it looks like this:

// $Id: 18f8520.lkr,v 1.1 2006/01/18 19:12:08 jbeynon Exp $
// File: 18f8520i.lkr
// Sample linker script for the PIC18F8520 processor

LIBPATH .

//FILES c018i.o
FILES clib.lib
FILES p18f8520.lib

CODEPAGE   NAME=vectors    START=0x0            END=0x7ff          PROTECTED
CODEPAGE   NAME=page       START=0x800          END=0x7FFF
CODEPAGE   NAME=idlocs     START=0x200000       END=0x200007       PROTECTED
CODEPAGE   NAME=config     START=0x300000       END=0x30000D       PROTECTED
CODEPAGE   NAME=devid      START=0x3FFFFE       END=0x3FFFFF       PROTECTED
CODEPAGE   NAME=eedata     START=0xF00000       END=0xF003FF       PROTECTED

ACCESSBANK NAME=accessram  START=0x0            END=0x5F
DATABANK   NAME=gpr0       START=0x80           END=0xFF           PROTECTED
DATABANK   NAME=gpr1       START=0x100          END=0x1FF
DATABANK   NAME=gpr2       START=0x200          END=0x2FF
DATABANK   NAME=gpr3       START=0x300          END=0x3FF
DATABANK   NAME=gpr4       START=0x400          END=0x4FF
DATABANK   NAME=gpr5       START=0x500          END=0x5FF
DATABANK   NAME=gpr6       START=0x600          END=0x6FF
DATABANK   NAME=gpr7       START=0x700          END=0x7F3
DATABANK   NAME=dbgspr     START=0x7F4          END=0x7FF          PROTECTED
ACCESSBANK NAME=accesssfr  START=0xF60          END=0xFFF          PROTECTED

SECTION    NAME=CONFIG     ROM=config

STACK SIZE=0x100 RAM=gpr6

Do you have the Vex library file in your library path?

Lastly, EasyC supplies the code for PrintToScreen. To get that functionallity you’ll need to get the WPI Library code and link to that library.

Thanks, the PrintToScreen command works awsomely though I still have to use the easyC loader, the linker script that I included is: 18f8520user.lkr. Is that correct?

The MPLAB compiler comes as part of EasyC, so it’s possible that is the right file name.

I had assumed that you were just using the MPLAB compiler on it’s own, not the EasyC supplied verision. The file name on my version is just 18f8520.lkr. And it puts the base at 800h. You will need to look at your linker file for a line that looks like:

CODEPAGE NAME=page START=0x800 END=0x7FFF

I’ve never dug into the internals of EasyC, so I have no idea how it does it’s mapping.

I got into the linker file and there’s a line that looks just like that. Should I edit that?(sorry if I sound a little noobish)

Both Down Loaders should download the Hex File correctly. (Try restoring the VEX Default Firmware with both loaders to verify this)

Do the steps I have Technic-R-C follow in the thread MPLAB workspace will not open seem to work??

It sounds like you are getting close to having it ALL working… :wink: