My Comprehensive Guide for Inspectors, Especially Novice Ones (Updated 2/2/2021) (Repost of Original Thread)

Original Thread: My Comprehensive Guide for Inspectors, Especially Novice Ones (Updated 2/8/2020)

In 2019, I wrote a guide for inspectors that goes into great detail for every item on the inspection checklist. I believe it is far superior to the official one. I trialed this document at VRC competitions in the West Tennessee area. Feedback so far from inspectors and referees, including the head referee at the TN State competition, has been overwhelmingly positive, and all have found my guide incredibly useful, especially if they had never inspected before or had limited experience. I now have decided to release it to the masses. I would appreciate any feedback on this guide.

The guide lists every item on both checklists in the order they appear on the checklists, with separate volumes for both the Cortex and V5 systems. It also has printouts of both checklists, at the beginning of the guide.

Since I cannot edit the original thread anymore, I am posting a new thread to publish the most recent version.

Last revised: 2/2/2021
Changelog

** 2/2/2021 (Preliminary Version)

• Updated the guide to conform with Change Up inspection checklists.
  • Moved the V5 volume to ahead of the Cortex volume since that’s the predominant system now and people don’t want to dig to the back of the book for the V5.
  • Cleaned up language for clarity.
  • Added a Table of Contents.
  • This is a preliminary version. Errors and inconsistencies may be present. I just want to get it out here for now. Further edits to be made soon.

** 2/8/2020

• Revised language regarding share of teams with V5.
  • Added recommendation for multiple sizing tools at large events.

** 2/7/2020

• Original release (Last revised 11/22/2019)

Things to do:

• Better title? Suggestions welcome.
  • Further clean up the language to make it more clear and concise.
  • Other things that will be based on the feedback I receive. Please note that this document is based on my experiences as an inspector in West Tennessee. After enough feedback is received from a wide variety of locations, I will update the document to ensure consistent practices.
  • Post the document in MS Word format for editability.
  • Style revamp to improve presentation?
  • VEX U-specific volume.

Feedback is very much appreciated, especially since COVID cancelled all the events in West Tennessee and I haven’t had a chance to inspect robots in the Change Up season. Some things that would in particular be useful are:

• Like RoboKatz said below, pictures of robots that would pass inspection or violate specific items to illustrate the inspection process to teams as well.
  • Pointers on inconsistencies with GDC rulings, since, like I said, I am out of practice and don’t have the patience to go through all the rulings.

The Inspector’s Guide Change Up 2-2-2021 (Preliminary).pdf (1.6 MB)

7 Likes

Great document! I found some errors in the document:

1. Last season’s game
  2. These links don’t work (they are from earlier seasons):
    One thing I would suggest doing is adding pictures to show robots that would/would not pass certain criteria. This would be helpful to teams who don’t fully understand the inspection rules.
5 Likes

I would be open to adding those in. I would therefore greatly appreciate it if you can send me some such pictures.

Updated Guide: The Inspector’s Guide Change Up 2-5-2021.pdf (1.7 MB)

Changes:

• Fixed links to checklists in the Setup section
4 Likes