Need help writing Pure Pursuit algorithm for VEXcode VR

Let’s start with background. So I’ve already made a goTo function and have used it with the pen to graph out polar functions on the Art Canvas playground. I have a general idea of what Pure Pursuit is, but I’m confused as to implement it.

This is the best help I could find, but all of the math is in psuedo-code or in java I think.

1 Like

Figured someone would have responded by now; is the document VEX related? Was it designed for VEX, or for something else?

It looks to me like they have the equations written out in both LaTeX and in Java.

its looks like it was made for FTC robots.

I think the reason no one has answered is that the question is too vague. Pure pursuit is a relatively complex algorithm, and only a few people here know enough about it to provide input.
Pure pursuit is a path following algorithm, that can be used with any robot that has odometry. The paper was written for First, but it can be applied to Vex. A few people, including myself, have implemented it for vex, with mixed results.

It is unlikely someone will want to take the time to break down the paper for you, give you code, and tell you exactly what to do. If you have a specific question, that is what the forum can help you with.

Edit:
In regards to VEXCode VR, if it is currently blocks-only, I find it very unlikely it will be practical to implement pure pursuit in it. Wait until code is supported or practice/develop using some other medium.

For example, when I developed my implementation, I used the JS canvas to test the algorithm:

12 Likes