New Products - June 2023 (Pneumatics Kits)

Like a bumper sensor, the 1 and 0 signals are passed in. Maybe it can use RJ later.

So vexos not being maintained? Is there a sunset date for gen 1?

1 Like

Mark,

There is no sunset date planned for Gen 1 (yet). Although James or Levi could explain it better than I, the Gen 1 is near max’d out on memory. So adding a devices screen for pneumatics means something else needs to go. We are able to support pneumatics on Gen 1 on VEXcode, but not on the devices screen.

As a side note, some of the really nice perks that Gen 2 gives - Updating devices with out plugging in to a computer and multiple language support, are features that are only available on Gen 2 due to having more memory available.

Mike

9 Likes

Notice the drivetrain?! :crazy_face: Definitely will give kids a lot more creative freedom not only for the pneumatics but also with freed up motors.

I am excited to see what kids come up with.

Cheers.

5 Likes

Indeed there is!

Announcing the V5 Pneumatics Kit !

Just like its IQ counterpart, this kit has everything required to outfit a V5 Robot with pneumatics, will ship later this summer, and will be VRC Legal.

25 Likes

What does the future hold for the legality of the legacy pneumatic components currently in use with VRC?

8 Likes

Will these remain in-stock? Also, will there be options to buy individual items (Solenoids, cylinders, or air tanks) and will these be compatible with current SMC pneumatics?

4 Likes

Is the air tank the same size as the SMC tank? What is the manifold assembly and what is it used for?

1 Like

From VTOW:

Also from VTOW:

2 Likes

When are the CAD files being posted for them?

1 Like

Are we allowed to mix and match with the legacy stuff? Seems to be kinda the same setup

2 Likes

I see this and it solves the problems I’ve had in the past. 90 pneumatic fittings, a plug for empty pneumatic fittings, better solenoids that look like they have actual mounting holes, smaller pneumatic cylinder. Only sad thing is that there’s not a single acting piston.

1 Like

The thing I like is that pressure regulator. That is such a major upgrade that makes the pneumatic system so much simpler, and I feel like would definitely add to the ease of use with the twist knob and the gauge.

4 Likes

If they have plugs for unused pneumatic ports, you don’t actually need a single-acting cylinder.

Simply plug the unused port on the solenoid and leave the unused port on the cylinder vented to air.

It won’t have a return spring, but it will functionally be a single-acting cylinder.

6 Likes

Yeah the downside I saw was that there was no return spring, however I’m just realizing that if you depend on that return spring your probably better off just using a double-acting cylinder.

2 Likes

Not to be debbie downer, but I’ll trade you a pressure regulator for 1) an onboard compressor and 2) v5 wiring (no more 3 wire connectors).

I like the shortest cylinder though.

3 Likes

Vex needs to sell coil springs, or an item they can be scavenged from (like the shock absorbers in the IQ kits). You could make your own single acting cylinder with them.

2 Likes

A single rubber band is more than enough to do the same thing as a return spring.

7 Likes

Given you can have effectively as many 3 wire ports as you like while v5 smart ports are a limited resource I think this is much better.

7 Likes

Technically… if you use every smart port as a 3-wire expander, you do have a limited number of 176 3-wire ports
Darn! I wanted to use 177 solenoids on my bot this year!

9 Likes